Exhaust baffling

CribbageGuy

Has anyone come up with a neat solution to outside noise with an externally vented system. Before I build some kind of large baffle, I'd love to hear what others have done. It is SO quiet up here, I imagine that the noise of the exhaust can be heard for miles around.

The system works well, when I have it running, but I'm reluctant to run it continuously because of the exhaust noise.

Exhaust baffling

David,
I live next door to the Nashua, NH municipal airport. Sometimes I wish I had your problem! It is not so quiet here. If you walk over to your nearest neighbor is the sound annoying?
bababrown

You could build a muffler. Bill Pentz has some info in his site to build one. I also exhaust outside, and it sounds like a small turbine engine running. Medium pitched whine. Glad that noise is not in the shop!!! I run 8" exhaust out of my CV and split to two 6" louvered outlets on the side of the shop attic to get the exhaust outside. If you did this, build a 6" muffler for each 6" line. I got my louvered outlets from Lowes...think bigger dryer louvered outlets. Jim.

I constructed a large box (4 ft tall, 3 ft wide, 1 ft thick) from 3/4" ply and attached it over the outlet on the outside of the building. The air is deflected downwards into four square sections that expand out slowly, lined with waffle foam. I put some hardware cloth over the end to keep out mice and such.

It works to some extent - it IS quieter, but I still am concerned about it.

I've also lined the closet door with carpet and started to fill in the stud walls with cardboard just to add some cheap mass to absorb sounds.

Would still like it quieter, so I would use it more...

David,

If you look at my recent post some more details will be found. http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Bullentin/showthread.php?t=1427

My system does not use filters and the exhaust vents directly to the outside. Ten feet of insulated HVAC duct dropped the noise remarkably ... but I don't know how the approach might work if you are using filters.

In any event, it is clear that most of the noise for my system was coming from the exhaust, followed by the blower.

Good hunting!

Back