filters, ducting and venting

TIM SANDER

Hi all

Have moved to a new house with an unused double garage out the back which I'm going to use as a shop. I'm in the process of gutting it because more wiring and a gas line are needed. I bought the CV 1800 and have some questions that I have not run across on these forums, which are great by the way. First thing is: can I rotate the stack of filters after installation? The closet I'm building for it has some constraints as the larger the closet the smaller the area for my SCMS. Now this may not make sense, but circumstances are that I may have to rotate the stack later and I don't want to move the whole system (it's a long story).

Next, I'm interested in venting outside, but I'm concerned about the moisture/temperature changes with the seasons (I'm in the Vancouver area with lots of rain in fall and spring and cold in winter)? What I'm wondering about is the air exchange. Will I somehow change the moisture content of the wood stored in the heated shop and then have trouble with regards to acclimating the wood?

Another thought is that I was going to run 6in PVC but have read about the benifits of 7in mains. I can get PVC at a good price but want to use metal ducting for the 7in mains. I don't want to use metal for the 6in, so how can I adapt from the PVC to the metal? This more or less would be at the 7x6 wyes, so 6in to 6in connections. I'm thinking that I would have 7in horizontal main with 6in drops. I have never tried a fernco coupling on metal ducting.

In the past I have had severe shocks on my old 4in system and remedied it with the copper wire method, which is a huge hassle. Does the metallic hvac tape work for this?

Thanks, Tim

Tim,
The fan assembly with the cyclone attached can be rotated after assembly. But, the intake chute will rotate with it. In assembling the unit, the blower housing is screwed to the cyclone (down thru the top of the blower housing) and the housing then is mounted on the fan assembly. That mounting is done with clips so the cyclone can be rotated and then the clips tightened. Secondly, I think the answer is to humidify the shop during winter. During the heating season in New Hampshire my house will get drier than a desert unless humidified and door panels will shift, furniture dries out, etc. But cool mist humidifiers are inexpensive to buy and operate and they solve the problem. They also stop the problem of shocks off PVC pipe. I can lay my body right across the pipes and I've never gotten a shock from them. The wire in flex hose is another story and you want to ground those. Finally, I would recommend you run 7" pipe right to the machine(s). The idea of different size mains and drops does not make much sense unless you run more than one machine at a time. I would rather run the 7" pipe down to the machine and then branch off to multiple machine ports if needed. In that case match the cross sectional areas of the pipes; a 7" port to two 5" ports, or three 4" ports,or a 6" and a 4" port. Hope this helps.
bababrown

Back