Fines In Filter

Mike Goetzke

I've had my CV1800 set up for about 6-months now. I read so many threads about the lack of any dust getting to the filters I chose a spot for my cyclone the makes total accessibility the the filters impossible. Well w/o tearing down some panels I built as a sound enclosure. So, today dust bin full light went off so I figured I'd check the trap on the filters too this time. I could beat on maybe 50% of the filters area and got approximately 1-2 cups of powder dust. I did do quite a bit of drum sanding but is this normal?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

I Guess it depends on how much dust you have made and from what machines. How many times have you emptied your trash can and from what machines? From the post I am guessing this is the first time you have filled the can? If most of it is fine dust.....the 32 gallon trash can weighs about 150 lbs. then I would say it's normal but if it's full of planer/jointer chips then it's most definetly not and you may need to look for a leak at the bottom of cyclone/ trash can lid.

Matt

Hi,

I Guess it depends on how much dust you have made and from what machines. How many times have you emptied your trash can and from what machines? From the post I am guessing this is the first time you have filled the can? If most of it is fine dust.....the 32 gallon trash can weighs about 150 lbs. then I would say it's normal but if it's full of planer/jointer chips then it's most definetly not and you may need to look for a leak at the bottom of cyclone/ trash can lid.

Matt

Matt,

I just completed a large project for a weekend hobbyist - an entrance door with frame and sidelights. This was the first workout for the cyclone. I used rough sawn white oak. Most of the dust was from my jointer & planer but for aesthetics I wanted my panels thinner and they were too wide for my planer so I used the drum sander to take about 1/16" off. I must have filled about six 32-gal. bags with dust (plus early on I managed overfill the bin:eek:). Once again the debris that came out of the filters was very fine powder like particles. I do have a galvanized trash can for my bin and I use the lid that came with it.

1) Is there a way to check for a lid leak?

2) Or what type of lid do you suggest?

Thanks,

Mike

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Last edited:
WOW Beautiful Door!!!! You did all that in a weekend? Anyway 2 cups of dust in the filters for 6 32 gallons trash bags of dust isn't bad but I am wondering if you have the bag inbetween the can and the lid...ie the way you would normally put a bag in a trash can. If so the wrinkles will cause the seal to leak. The best way to tell if it's leaking is if you can hear it.....I know that sounds crazy but you will hear the hissing. Is the dust you took from the filters like talcum powder or baby powder.....so fine that it sticks to your fingers? That's how fine it should be. The lid that came with the came should be fine if you installed a seal and made sure all the seams in the can were sealed as well.

Matt

See comments below:

WOW Beautiful Door!!!! ThanksYou did all that in a weekend? Ha - I wished. It took me almost 3-months. Anyway 2 cups of dust in the filters for 6 32 gallons trash bags of dust isn't bad but I am wondering if you have the bag inbetween the can and the lid...ie the way you would normally put a bag in a trash canI don't use a bag in the can - I dump the can into a bag when full. If so the wrinkles will cause the seal to leak. The best way to tell if it's leaking is if you can hear it.....I know that sounds crazy but you will hear the hissing. Is the dust you took from the filters like talcum powder or baby powderyeah, it's super fine, even seems much finer than the dust I would knock off of my previous Jet DC1100 pleated filter......so fine that it sticks to your fingers? That's how fine it should be. The lid that came with the came should be fine if you installed a seal and made sure all the seams in the can were sealed as well.Yes I have a seal on the lid and caulked all the seams in the can. Sounds like the drum sander probably did it because come to think of it I did open the filter trap before and didn't find much more than a dusting in the trap.

Matt

Follow UP Question

Follow UP Question

First , great looking door.

Second, I had a similar question.

My first trial run of the system, I used a SCMS, Jointer , and Planer and I generated 10 Gallons of shavings and dust. I had about 1 tablespoon worth of fine dust in the cleanout box.

This appears from above to be an acceptable amount. However, one interesting thing, all the dust accumulated in a nice little pile in the front corner of the box, maybe an inch off of being diretcly under the opening in the filters. So is there a small leak pulling the dust out of the center or is this normal as well?

Hey Mike .. .. it's been my observation that this is probably normal. The larger the chip, the easier it is for the cyclone to separate it out. Ultra-fine dust doesn't have enough mass or surface for the cyclone to properly process it, meaning it can easily get past the cyclone. The cyclone can only separate particles that scrub the walls by centrifugal force. That's what slows the particles down, and makes them drop out of the airstream.

If you have any significant leaks, the particles in the filter(s) will be larger and greater in quantity than what you describe. I developed a small leak in my drop tube into the barrel, and I quickly packed six TORIT filters with dust & chips. NOT a pleasant chore cleaning them, but I did discover a new use for a backpack leaf blower !! !! Got a spare set coming, just in case, but I hope to never do that again.

Thanks for the responses. I've used the cyclone a little more and no more fines found in the filter clean out yet. Must have been the extensive use of the drum sander.

Mike

Back