First test run

shepdog

...of my homebuilt Pentz cyclone...ran blower on it's own for a couple of seconds just to see. a few observations:

1. It's loud. Wife not impressed. Going to have to built free-standing framework as opposed to mounting to basement walls...or find a good divorce lawyer.

2. Motor wired backwards. Easy fix.

3. Almost immediately after starting, high pitched screeching began, shut her down. Impeller started rubbing on motor mounting plate, appears a bit warped, but does not come closer than 1/4" when spinning by hand...wierd. May have to fabricate out of heavier sheet metal (used 11 G for plate, 14 for fins).

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated...too much time, effort and cash invested to abandon ship!

Shepdog
I have to say that you shouldn’t start up your blower again. Blower design is not something an average person can do. It needs to be strong enough, flat, and balanced. It could fly apart. and no blower should be run by it's self due to burning up the motor.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, but turning back isn't an option! I ran the blower only for 2 seconds to prevent burnout. As for the impeller design, I have researched their design quite a bit. I understtand the critical design issues, my next attempt will most likely use riveted blades to ensure minimal warping of the base plate. After posting I sas th screeching was the impeller base rubbing on one of the through nuts the motor hanger bracket was threaded into previously.

Back