Frame vs Wall Mount

TJackson

I just got my unit and am deciding whether to mount on the wall, or on a stand alone frame. I see several comments in other threads from those who have been happy with the separate frame approach but that presents some logistical hassles with my noise closet plans and some odd-ball piping in the ceiling area of my shop. So, I am wondering how it has worked out for folks that have went ahead with the wall mount, in terms of noise and the concerns re low frequency vibrations transferring to shop walls. Anyone tried rubber grommets or other means of dampening between the mounting board and the wall studs?

This is probably too late for you, but I can definitely say that soft mounting the blower and cyclone assembly delivers a significant noise reduction - and that transmission of vibration into structures (in my case a loft floor) adds significant noise.

My layout is probably different, and I can't say how optimised what I did was - but there's photos of the mounting in the CV 1800/CV max photos section under my name.

ian

Free Standing Mount

Free Standing Mount

I found that the free standing frame reduced the noise and vibration. I would avoid the wall hung and go with the free standing unit.

Fred Sotcher

Block Walls

Block Walls

Even with a block wall you might get some noise transmitted into the wall, but it might be so little that the free-standing stand is not worthwhile. I would still mount the blower on rubber mounts.

Fred Sotcher

Frame vs. Wall

Frame vs. Wall

I built a sturdy frame from pressure treated 2X material and have mine mounted to a solid mount on it. The frame stands clear of the block walls of the foundation on a concrete pad I placed in a corner of the crawl space under my basement shop floor where I have nearly 9' of clearance between the joists of the floor above and run my ductwork under that floor. It reduces the noise level and no vibration passes through the foundation wall to the house. I've attached a SketchUp drawing of the frame and cyclone.

Attachments

• My ClearVue2.jpg
    My ClearVue2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 8
I agree with you, Its very helpful to reducing noise and even no vibration passes through the foundation wall to the house. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article.

Back