Free-standing stand plans

tamathumper

Aside from some discussion about stands, some build galleries and pictures, there's really no "stand plans" that I can find on the forum.

I'm trying to come up with the smallest footprint that I can for housing the cyclone, built entirely out of 2x4 lumber.

I put together the pictured plan yesterday in TinkerCAD, and I was wondering what everyone thought.

The interior dimensions are very close to the pictured dimensions of the unit from the instruction manual, except that it's 48" wide so the inlet will protrude out the left-hand side of the stand.

Overall, the dimensions are 8' tall, 48" wide (inside) and 24" deep (inside). The legs do impinge on the inner dimensions in the corners, but I don't think that's a problem.

Does anyone see a problem with these dimensions and this plan? If it's "forum approved" I'll share the plan on TinkerCAD (actually already done), and put up a cut list to help people use the minimum amount of lumber.

cyclone_stand.png

It appears quite similar to the stand I built for my CV 1800, found attached to this post. My only recommendation would be to beef up the support section for the bracket at the top and make sure the two-by boards are all on the same plane.

Thanks very much for the reply, McRabbet, I appreciate the input.

I'll be doubly sure the cross-members can take the load of the cyclone. There'll be three 2-by's supported on a 2 foot span, with the top two of them glued and screwed into a box-beam with about 1/2" between them. I'm already sure they are in the same plane but the angle of the picture might make it look a bit funny.

Your plans look good. I will be constructing a stand as a temporary holder until I can retrofit my existing DC shed attached that is attached to my shop. This will have to wait until the snow melts and I can work outside. I assume your plan allows the filters to be housed within the stand and not protruding out the side. What size container (drum) do you plan to use for collection?

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I plan to house the whole thing inside the stand, which is 2'x4' interior dimensions. I put it together today, with a little bit of added bracing on the bottom. I didn't use the rear upright because I don't think it needs it, the three 2x4's are pretty sturdy, but I can always add it later.

I have a standard metal trash can that I plan to use as the bin for now.

I have the motor/impeller mounted on the aluminum arms now - that could have been a *real* dangerous job by myself, but I made it easy peasy with a strap strung through the housing, and the impeller was easy to mount with a black rubber bungy holding it in place while I put the taper fitting on.

cyclone_stand.jpg

Almost done.

Almost done.

Construction is complete, and the cyclone and filters are all installed. I opted to bring the intake chute out the front, and put the filters on the right. It all fits handily within the 2'x4' envelope, with about 5 inches to spare. Surprisingly, the blower housing does stick out the back quite a bit, I hadn't expected that.

As everything is constructed of 2x4's with no glue, I also opted to put an additional horizontal member across the front of the unit to support the front of the aluminum arms, because I didn't like the deflection I was getting from back to front. It was ten minutes of work and an extra 2x4, so $3 for the insurance.

I don't know how much the cyclone moves when turned on, but if it's too much I would recommend diagonal bracing horizontally, between the cross members (in the corners, basically). You really have to push on it to get it to move, but it will move because it's mostly squares, as opposed to triangles.

I'll update the picture/plan when I get a chance and post that.

... and feet.

... and feet.

I also needed to add 2x4 "feet" to the unit, because the standard 28" trash bin would not fit under the cyclone very well, even though the top of the aluminum brackets were placed at exactly 8' off the floor. No big deal, just another 10 minutes of work, which turned into 30 because I then realized the filters had to be put on their own little stand as well. :rolleyes:

cyclone_stand_final.png

Looks like a good alternative. Can you post some photos of your stand complete with the cyclone installed.
Thanks for your help.

Here are pictures of the front, side, back and power setup. The only thing remaining is just a bit more lateral support. It is rigid front-to-back, but side-to-side it still wiggles just a bit and I don't want it moving at all, so I'm going to add either a couple of diagonal braces along the back, or verticals that are aligned with their thickness side-to-side (currently, they are all standing front-to-back, which presents their thin sides in the same direction).

cv_front.jpg

cv_side.jpg

cv_back.jpg

cv_power.jpg

Any final plans posted anywhere. I need to build this as a means of determining where I want to install the unit. One concern I had was turbulence coming into the cyclone itself. I thought I had read that 3-5' should be straight before any transitions or takeoffs. That being the case I'd have to exit at the cyclone fitting, run 3-5' straight and then transition up toward the ceiling height. What am I missing? Wrong info? Every install picture I see shows the pipe attached and then a 45 up, short pipe and 45 to ceiling height. Any ideas? I've had mine since Nov.'17 and have yet to pipe it out or mount it. Parts are together and sealed but trying to decide best place to install.

-Steve

Funny you should comment today. After moving and tearing this all down and putting it in storage, I was just able to get it all back out of the POD on Saturday, and I'm looking for time to put it all back together. I marked every single piece with Sharpie before I took it apart, so it'll probably look like an IKEA project with each part labeled clearly, LOL. I don't have any clearer pictures of the installation other than the picture in post #7. The unit has been solid as a rock and has held the dust collector just fine. I ran the pipe gradually up to the ceiling of my last shop so there wasn't any sharp transition at all, and no turbulence.

Thanks for the fast response. I wasn't sure with this thread as old as it is that anybody would respond. My issue is I have a window and french door between the location I'm ideally liking and the partition wall of my shop. From possible unit to the wall is just under 20' but 6' from the proposed location is a french door. The window isn't so much a concern, this is an unfinished basement but the door needs to be functional.

So the overall dimensions of this stand is 2'x4'x8'? Nothing wrong with organization. At my age I need to make notes of the notes. Actually not that old at 63 but feeling it many days.

It's very close to 2x4x8. The uprights are 8' long, most of the front and back pieces are 4' long (except the ones that fit between the uprights), and the left and right sides are I believe 2'6" each. I'll try to attach a cut list for the original design, showing how to cut the pieces out of 11 2x4's. I believe you can ignore piece "2" in the cut list, as it was originally supposed to be the upright in the back of the stand which I ultimately didn't need to build into the design.

Cut_List.jpg

Attachments

• Cut_List.jpg
    Cut_List.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
Back