General vacuum hose

robdav

Has anyone included one flexible hose to be used for general vacuuming anywhere it is needed in the shop? One idea I had was to hang one hose, centrally located, from the trunk, with enough length to reach all the corners. But that seems like it might get in the way. What have others done? What diameter hose did you use? The main use I will have is from all the wood shavings that result from turning on a couple of lathes. That can result in a large pile of shavings in pretty short order. Are two inch hoses too small? Are four inch hoses overkill?

Thanks,
Rob

I have a 28' x 4" diameter Dust-Right hose from Rockler. It is placed near the door to the workshop inside my garage. This allows me to reach most of my shop and garage and really sucks up the dust. You do need to upsize the length because it is nearly impossible to expand to the full 28' length when the suction is on. I really only need to reach about 20' which is about the maximum length that the "28 foot" hose will reach after accounting for routing around the table saw and jointer.

I built a 4' tall wall rack with some vertically mounted magnetic tool holders that hold the hose in place. This keeps the hose contained within a relatively small area.

I usually sweep up the biggest piles of sawdust from the lathe and let the vacuum clean up the remaining 10%.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I just looked at the Dust Right hose. The way it retracts to a small size looks very handy. How long have you been using it? Have you noticed any cracking? A few of the reviews say they have had that problem. Does your shop get cold? How does the hose work when cold?

Thanks,
Rob

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I just looked at the Dust Right hose. The way it retracts to a small size looks very handy. How long have you been using it? Have you noticed any cracking? A few of the reviews say they have had that problem. Does your shop get cold? How does the hose work when cold?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob,

I have had the Dust Right hose for about 3 years and it still works great. I am a weekend woodworker and it probably gets used 1-2 times per month. There is no cracking. I was slightly concerned about abrasion when the hose is dragged repeatedly over cement since the vinyl is thinner than traditional dust collector hose. So far, no significant abrasion can be detected.

I am in the California foothills outside of Sacramento. My shop is well insulated, mostly to protect from the heat. I have probably never used the hose below about 50 degrees.

My only other advice if you do get it is to skip the Rockler version of a storage rack. I made my own using 2 18" magnetic tool holders with magnets along the entire length. It really grabs onto the metal coil and holds it into place.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks. That was very helpful.

I have insulated my shop as well for both the heat and cold. It can get down around zero here in Missouri and I won't be heating the shop 100% of the time. I haven't figured out how I'm going to heat it yet either. Still looking into options.

Rob

By "put together" does that mean you need to be somewhat of an HVAC expert? How does it work and what are the components?

Back