Grounding Wire

RCI914

I have just purchased the 1800 system and would like to know if anyone has any advice before I set it up in my shop. I have read most of the different forums and spoke with Ed, but didn't know if anyone had any other info. that might be helpful.

Also, to reduce the static, I want to run a grounding wire on the outside of the PVC pipe. Has anyone else done this and what type of grounding wire should I run?

Grounding wire

Grounding wire

RCI914,
The most important thing I've found with respect to static build-up is relative humidity. I keep my heated shop in Nashua, NH humidified as much as possible without getting condensation on the windows. I get some static build-up on the pipes (any dust will cling to the pipe and the hair on my arms stands up) but I have yet to get a shock. I did run a bare wire along the pipe with sheet metal screws thru the pipe every 18 inches but I think it does little good.
bababrown

R and D Nikkel use a good technique that works well for low humidity areas and bababrown points out that higher humidity greatly reduces the amount of build-up. As you may be aware, PVC is a great insulator and the particulates moving through it are what causes the static charge build up -- as Dr. Rod Cole points out, there is little danger of an explosion with small systems like ours. If you live in a low humidity area, you might want to use the foil tape method outside the pipe, but I haven't bothered in my application and have never gotten any more than a mild zap.

We used foil tape over the screws holding the pipe together with the foil grounded by wire to a gounded machine. (Last few pictures here http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/CV1800+and+CVMax/Ron-Denises-Shop/?g2_page=3 ) This is simple to do and solved our static problems, which were not insubstantial.

Hi R &D, I'm wondering if you ran foil tape on the inside of your duct work as well as the outside. I'm in the early planing stages of a shop and have not ruled using metal instead. I thought PVC would be a huge problem here with the dry winters. But if PVC is working for you then it will for me as I'm North of Edmonton as well so we are in the same climate. Seen your posts on Ipex as a supplier as well. I'll be calling them when the time comes. Was at Home Depot in St. Albert today and they have nothing bigger than 4" PVC. And next to nothing in 26 ga metal either.

Last edited:
No, we just ran the foil down the outside and over every screw we used that connected the pipe that we could. We did this after the whole system was up and running and Rod was getting some major shocks from the metal connector to the barrel collecting the dust from the side grinder. We grounded the foil to the band saw, which is grounded properly, and it took care of the problem.
All the best in your search for pipe. It took us a while too. Hopefully the numbers I posted are still the ones the company uses.

No, we just ran the foil down the outside and over every screw we used that connected the pipe that we could. We did this after the whole system was up and running and Rod was getting some major shocks from the metal connector to the barrel collecting the dust from the side grinder. We grounded the foil to the band saw, which is grounded properly, and it took care of the problem.
All the best in your search for pipe. It took us a while too. Hopefully the numbers I posted are still the ones the company uses.

Thanks for the information. Maybe on a new install then I could run the foil first and then put the sheet metal screws in through the foil. As long as you tighten them by hand it shouldn't tear the foil and will make a good connection. Plus I could add more screws at any time through the foil that will poke into the pipe to bleed off any charges in the pipe.
I went to the Ipex website and they have the current phone number for Edmonton there. Ecco heating in Edmonton seems to have a good supply of metal pipe according to their website. I haven't contacted Ecco or Ipex yet but will in time.

Back