Hazing on Inside of Cyclone / Stock Paint

brokenblade

Hey guys! I just recently purchased a used CV1800 on craigslist. The thing is in great shape but I have a few questions.

1. There general hazing on the inside of the bottom half of the cyclone. I would imagine these are microscratches from the particles flying around in there. Anyone else experience this over time? Mine was made in 2006 so it's no wonder. I have the entire cyclone apart at this point so I have easy access to the the inside of it. Anyone know of a good way to remove the hazing? Possibly with a headlight restoration kit or Meguiar's Plastx?

2. The MDF for the machine is not painted and I would like to match the current blue that ClearVue is using now as closely as possibly. I called and they gave me the color PMS 286C but none of the hardware stores can mix based off of a PMS code so I can't figure out the color. Anoyone have any insight into this? Also what kind of paint / sealer should I use to ensure no saw dust sticks but that it still looks very close to what ClearVues these days look like

EDIT: Oh red! I just saw your install photos. Looks very nice!

Thanks all,
Mike

Last edited:
Flitz is a blue paste polish compound that works very well. Often available in gun shops as it is an excellent metal polish.

I'm not sure that your hazing is from wood chips. "Crazing" is a reaction to the atmosphere conditions.

Are you sure about the PMS - Pantone is a featured service at Sherwin Williams and Lowes stores. Look for paint stores that offer the Pantone Matching System. I used Rustoelum metal enamel paint on mine. Looks great, with that "wet" finish look.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply! I thought that this hazing was something that happened over time but I was just checking some photos of some of the cyclone installations and came across this:

main.php

Mine looks exactly like this, crystal clear at the top of the cyclone and hazy on the bottom. Were the earlier cyclones built like this for some reason? Or is that picture also hazing on his?

I did check at Lowes and Sherwin Williams and they both had no idea what Pantone was or what do to do with the PMS number. Which color did you use on your's from the Rustoelum series? Do you have pictures you could share?

IF you visit the Loew's website or the Sherwin Williams web site they are promoting their Pantone Matching System. I guess they are wasting their advertising dollars.

My photos are posted here: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/CV1800+and+CVMax/markferraro/

I'm on a business trip, but I believe the color is/was Rustoleum Safety Red in enamel. I used it on two steel lolly posts in my basement shop after I treated them with a rust fixer. Enamel looks wet all the time. I did seal the ends/cut edges of the MDF with spackle and used spray primer.

If my cyclone crazes I'm not going to worry about it.

For those who would like to paint to the color clearvue now uses, here is the color code for Behr paint.

Behr Ultra Base #7753 - CLRNT #384 - DL 0/115 - EL 1/261 - KXL 0/376 - VUL 0/213

Still haven't figure out how to get the haze out, I have tried every kind of polish imaginable. Next I am going to try quickly flame torching the plastic since I believe it will fix the issue (Yes I will torch a test piece first haha). I will report back with results.

Back