help a total newbie

nick briggs

i got a clear vue a few months ago, but only got around to setting it up now. my main concern is noise. i live in a residential neighborhood and ill do anything i can to keep everyone happy. i've been reading and it seems like a closet is the way to go for moi. i just have a few questions to get me started.

1. starting from the ouside going in, a layer of 5/8 drywall, insulation in a 2.4 frame, then pegboard. would that be a good enough sandwich to get the sound down to 65ish db?(as ive read from one of ed's posts)

2. would i have to build a "floor" for this closet or is a strip of weather striping contacting the floor good enough?

3. what about exhausting air from the filters? cut a hole somewhere near the filters and make sort of a box on top?

4. isn't there a danger of the motor overheating since it's enclosed?

keep in mind my shop is cramped to the max, so i'd be making something like 4 feet by 4 feet by 7.5 feet high. id appreciate any opinions!! thanks guys.

Noise

Noise

Nick,

Everything sounds good but you could just put screen on the inside instead of pegboard. And for the return you can put that anywhere the lower the better as the noise comes from the top. I am not aware of any overheating problems from enclosing the cyclone in a 4 x 4 room as there will be alot of air circulating in there. In the last 3 years I have run mine 8 -16 hrs a day continuously and had the thermal overload kick out once. Also we bought something called ductboard from another customer recommendation and it seems to have great sound deadning properties but haven't actually installed it yet( stood a sheet in front of the door). It can be found a HVAC supply house.

Matt

Back