Help with Picking Location for CV1800

nbutler

Good Afternoon and Happy New Year!

I'm trying to decide on the best location for my CV1800 with the 15" blower and 5HP motor. Issues are 1) distance to power from machine, vs 2) distance to tools from machine, but also need to consider 3) noise and 4) distance to heater/fireplace.

I've made 2 floor plans below.

Question 1:
is it better (less bad) to be farther from electrical panel, or far from tools? I have a 60 A sub panel, which I was planning on using, however, dust collector (DC) needs a 30 A breaker. While all my other tools are currently on 20A breakers, that doesn't leave a lot of room for upgrading (need to upgrade lathe to 3HP soon). I only run 1 tool plus DC, but with lights, its getting close to my 60A. However, i think it is still doable, if that is best to do.

Option 1 (shown in purple) was my original proposed location. It is next to the 60A sub-panel, which is good (if I can use 60A for DC and my 1 tool at a time), but it is too close to my lathe (they recommend a 5ft section running straight off the DC which puts it past my lathe). This location could work, thought it doesn't leave a lot of room to build a noise suppressing cabinet which I would like to do.

Option 2 (shown in purple- in top right corner of shop). I think this would be the best location: close to tools, can build cabinet. The problem with this location is it is about 100 ft away from my main electrical panel if my 60A sub-panel is not big enough for the 30A DC + 20A tool + lights...etc.

Option 3 (not shown, but somewhere close to my main electrical panel). This location would be best for both noise and would allow me to use my main electrical panel. However, would likely be 40-55 ft away from my lathe, which produces the worst dust.

Last thing to consider is my wood stove. I know a lot places do not recommend a wood stove in a wood shop. However, I have been here for 5 years, and never had a problem. The DC would help prevent dust from being airborne, much better than it is now. with that said, I'm not sure I want the DC to be installed right beside the wood stove (option 1). I think Option 2 or 3 would be better.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the issues raised above.

Neil

Attachments

• Shop Floor Plan for Dust C Big.jpg
    Shop Floor Plan for Dust C Big.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
  • shop floor for dust c  Zoommed.jpg
    shop floor for dust c Zoommed.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0
While your diagrams are difficult to read, the purple backgrounds for your two options helps. I recommend that you place the cyclone in the far right corner of your shop space (your Option 2) which offers several advantages. While it is further from your panel, the wiring is the least costly component of your installation -- I would recommend using 10/2 wire to the cyclone (use the ClearVue Electrical Box or a local disconnect switch at the cyclone). From the corner location, create a diagonal duct run over the top of your shop toward the left side of your table saw. Create horizontal side branches where needed with 6x6x6 wyes and drops with the same wyes facing down, combined with a short length of straight duct to a 45 degree elbow and straight duct down to a blast gate at each machine. I recommend using 6" thin-wall PVC sewer and drain pipe (ASTM D-2729) and associated fittings. The corner location will allow the shortest, straightest duct runs.

Another advantage of the corner location is that you could easily create a closet to house the cyclone there for sound isolation. Because these run at about 85 dB, any sound reduction is a good strategy.

Back