Help with piping layout in new building

SSawdusty

Just in the process of building a new shop and was seeking some advice on the main and drop layout. The building is 24' x 48' with 10' ceilings and a 4' crawl space. There is a 4' pony wall in the middle of the crawl supporting the floor joists. The plan is to put the dust cyclone outside and the ducting in the crawl. I'm after some ideas on the layout taking into account the pony wall. Should I split up and run two 6" lines down the middle of the 12' span and branch off from there or what? Also would the CV1800 do the job or do I need the CVMAX? I attached a sketch of the building and the cyclone location(which cannot be changed) sorry for the crappy drawing.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• shop.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 0
Splitting the run would be fine, and I would get the Max for that size building. And as much of a champion for the PVC pipe for home shops, if I were to run piping out of sight, I'd use metal pipe for added safety. I originally wanted to run my pip in the attic part of the shop building. Bill Pentz suggested I use metal if I couldn't see it. Just in case if there was a fire, at least with metal you would have a little extra safety cushion. If plastic, the fire could be out of control before you knew you had one. Just my 2 cents based on Bill's common sense answer to my issue.
I still ran mine above the ceiling level as I had already purchased the pipe, but I made a tunnel of sorts that is closed off to the attic, but open to the shop so I can see the piping at all times. Jim.

Here's a couple of ideas I have on layouts. Please feel free to comment on or suggest different options.

Attachments

• shop2.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 0
I like using the 8" for the main runs, if it isn't cost prohibitive. But I'll let those in the know on using 8" and individual machines at 6" chime in here. Hopefully some with 'real world knowledge' will see this thread and join in. Maybe question CV on what they think. They have probably worked with others with the Max system and 8" main trunks in larger shops.
I guess you know that your new shop will hold 4 or 5 or more of the shops that most of us get to play in!!! Congrats. Now maybe if I win the lottery, I can build one that would compete with yours!! :D Jim.

Hi Ssawdusty
A couple of observations that might help.
Firstly how many machines do you plan to use concurrently?
With regard to your ducting diagrams a CV max usually has a 8" main trunk which is split into two 6" pipe runs.
With a CV max at least 2 x 6" outlets need to be open at any one time to ensure sufficient air speed in the 8" duct to prevent dust setting out.

I would suggest you consider your second diagram with 8" main and 6" side runs.
Also I believe you only need two 6" runs appropriately spaced across your 24' dimension i.e. 1/4 1/2 1/4 spacing

Good luck with your installion. Your workshop will be the envy of many
Ron

Thanks Jim & Ron

I probably would only ever have two machines going at once. So one 8" main going across the 24' end and two 6 inch runs going down the middle of the 12' spans and then some branches off them. Since there will be no piping needed in the finishing room and you eliminate the entrance way the working size becomes 24' x 36'. With this in mind and only two machines operating at once occasionally would the CV1800 be a better choice. This would also eliminate the possibility of material dropout that may occur in the 8" pipe with the CVMAX.

Thanks for the compliments on the building . Yes its a biggey. Actually its has a second floor and another 36' x 48' shop hooked to it as well.

Hi again Ssawdusty

You really are making me jealous with all your workshop space. What are you going to do with all that space. Most of us have less space than the bottom floor of the first building.

If you really want clean airspace free of dust and not just a chip collector then you can only run one 6" outlet off a CV1800.

Also with such a large workshop with long collection runs a CVMax may be more appropriate. Cleaview should be able to better advise you on which is most appropriate for your situation.
When do you plan to have your workshop operational, what machinery will you have and will it be used for commercial production. The latter two may affect which machine you purchase
Cheers
Ron

Thanks Ron.
The lower floor on the 12x24 building will be a wood shop with the upper floor being used for storage. The 48x36 part will be a mechanics shop. They are just for a hobby right now but may develop into more upon retirement. ) for got to mention there is a 20x48 barn on the other side which will be incorporated into the structure. In all with mainly just two of us doing the work it will be a 2 to 3 year project, we are 8 months into it right now and just finishing up the drywall in the 24x48 building with the footing and foundation in on part of the second. As for equipment have table saws, planner, joiner ect. Just enough to have out grown the other shop. So new shop new equipment:D
Maybe I can post some pics

Back