Holly Tornado Batman!

TexaCali

Got my CV1800 hung and wired today. I got one of the last unpainted units, so I disassembled everything (even the MDF in the cyclone), then sealed, primed and painted all the wood (including my wall mount) before reassembling.

I wound up installing a surface mount sub panel in my garage to power the CV and my shop tools. Mounted another box to hold the starter relay, switch, etc. Everything is hard plumed with metal conduit.

So after finishing all this, with the CV hung but no dust bin attached, nothing on the exhaust except the straight transition, and nothing on the input except the input transition, I very timidly hit the switch - knowing full well I could only run it for a few seconds like this since the motor would be full out with no flow restriction.

Well, the title says it all. :eek: Sounded like the blower on a top fuel dragster! I think every molecule of air in my garage was set in motion during the 3-4 seconds I had it on. Wow!

Now to hook up the dust bin, exhaust (I'm venting outside), and of course all the plumbing. Can't wait to see the end result (and to see how much noise reduction I get with a "loaded" system).

Cheers!

www.carlmontpharmacy.com Well, to put it bluntly - it sucks! :D

My table saw is a Sawstop PCS - so it has internal 4" ducting, and I have 6" going right up to an adapter on the back. More air flows through the openings in the cabinet than through the blade opening - so I placed some tape over the openings to get more suction at the table. I have an Excalibur over table hood (a long 4" pipe that even necks down to about 3" hose at one point). Again, 6" pipe goes right up to the Excalibur.

I don't have a particle counter yet, but on cuts that can use the over table hood, the table stays very clean. I was experimenting with dovetails the other day - lots of test cuts (on the router). I would then cut the pins/tails off on the table saw to try again. When I cut the pins/tails off, they would often get sucked up by my over table hood!

The only other tool I have connected right now is my router table. I have both under table and fence collection. As long as I am cutting close to the fence, the table stays clean (again, no particle counter, so I can't say what the air quality is). If I'm cutting away from the fence I get a small pile of sawdust on the table. I should note that I have a 6" line going directly up to the collection box under the table. No flex line, and the small gap between the router bit and the table insert whistles like crazy due to the air flow. I don't think it is a lack of suction, just the fact that the router bit is turning so bloody fast that without some sort of shroud, it just isn't possible to avoid material being "thrown" out of the range of suction.

The real challenge here is how to create a shroud that will allow cutting dovetails on the table while still collecting all the material. It might not be possible. For edge profiling or joiner duties (both close to the fence), the router setup is about as good as possible - between the table, the fence, and the wood itself, there is nowhere for the dust to go except into the cyclone.

Good for you..
Your post made me think again.. I have to do some maintenance!!

tell us what happened with your "loaded" system, please...

Last edited:
...tell us what happened with your "loaded" system, please...

Well, to put it bluntly - it sucks! :D

My table saw is a Sawstop PCS - so it has internal 4" ducting, and I have 6" going right up to an adapter on the back. More air flows through the openings in the cabinet than through the blade opening - so I placed some tape over the openings to get more suction at the table. I have an Excalibur over table hood (a long 4" pipe that even necks down to about 3" hose at one point). Again, 6" pipe goes right up to the Excalibur.

I don't have a particle counter yet, but on cuts that can use the over table hood, the table stays very clean. I was experimenting with dovetails the other day - lots of test cuts (on the router). I would then cut the pins/tails off on the table saw to try again. When I cut the pins/tails off, they would often get sucked up by my over table hood!

The only other tool I have connected right now is my router table. I have both under table and fence collection. As long as I am cutting close to the fence, the table stays clean (again, no particle counter, so I can't say what the air quality is). If I'm cutting away from the fence I get a small pile of sawdust on the table. I should note that I have a 6" line going directly up to the collection box under the table. No flex line, and the small gap between the router bit and the table insert whistles like crazy due to the air flow. I don't think it is a lack of suction, just the fact that the router bit is turning so bloody fast that without some sort of shroud, it just isn't possible to avoid material being "thrown" out of the range of suction.

The real challenge here is how to create a shroud that will allow cutting dovetails on the table while still collecting all the material. It might not be possible. For edge profiling or joiner duties (both close to the fence), the router setup is about as good as possible - between the table, the fence, and the wood itself, there is nowhere for the dust to go except into the cyclone.

Back