Holy Jet Blast Batman!

EHoward

Finally fired up the giant sucker today. Sounded like an enormous router. It is in a wood stud and drywall closet with no door and no insulation. It hit the meter at 105-108 db. :eek: DSCN1061.JPG Walking into the shop about 20 ft away I was getting 88 db. DSCN1058.JPG

Picked up a stack of mineral wool and will fill the stud bays with that. I will test again afterwards to measure the result. I don't know what to do about the low frequency noise that is traveling through the upstairs. But I don't think Momma is gonna be happy when she can't hear American Idol.

"E"

I think the insulation will do wonders in the shop - did for me. But, I have an attached garage and if I walk down the 4 steps to go into the house I can head a low freq rumble. Even if I close the solid wood door I can hear it down the hallway. Some mentioned that could be a structural bourn vibration but the way I have it hooked up doesn't seem likely.

good luck

Mike and "E", do you have the cyclone isolated from the wall, or attached directly to it? I get absolutely no rumble from mine outside the shop. The exhaust outside, no filters, sounds like a small turbine engine running, but no low frequency noise at all. I have my cyclone mounted to a home built 2 X 4 stand that is isolated from the concrete floor, and from the walls of the shop with the black Styrofoam that Ed packed my cyclone with. It is in a fiberglass insulated closet, but no doors on the closet yet. If you are bolted directly to the wall, consider getting some vibration isolation mounts from someone like McMaster-Carr online. It might make a big difference. Remember stereo speakers work by vibrating/moving a cone that moves air to recreate the sound. Your wall or floor could be doing the same thing. Don't want Mama mad, or the tool fund will dry up!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Jim.

I think I have created a giant bass woofer. Yes, I did secure directly to the studs. I will reconsider that connection and look into something more isolated. Right now, I gotta stick a sock in that thing, so insulation is in order.

Thanks,
"E"

UPDATE - Feeling a lot better about the noise control. I filled all the stud bays and openings with mineral wool. I must say I didn't expect such a dramatic improvement with just the mineral wool. I will post updated db readings later to substantiate the results. Interestingly enough the insulation also removed the low frequency roar upstairs.
DSCN1065.JPGDSCN1066.JPG

Most importantly, Momma's happy:D

DB Update

DB Update

I finally got around to testing the noise levels after my closet insulation. Amazing reduction in the noise. With the door open to the closet I measured 84-85 db. With the door closed I measured 81 db. By the way, the door is a standard 6-panel masonite with no insulation inside. I measured my Grizzly 1023 TS while standing at the operating location and got 81 db.

Result, I am extremely pleased with the insulation effort.:)

"E"

Back