Ideal Dust Collection

Mark56MSG

I emailed Bill Pentz about my idea of using a CVMax with 8" mains for my 21'x21' shop and asked if it would cause a problem with the motor if most of the time I only had one 6" down drop port open. I also told him I didn't mine paying a little extra for better dust collection. His response was:

"Your ideal setup would be a CV-1800 cyclone body with CV-Max 16" blower. This gives the best separation and airflow combination. Then use all 8" horizontal mains, all 6" down drops, then each machine needs hoods and ports that total to close to the same cross sectional area of a 6" duct meaning 28.25 square inches."

This had me scratching my head a bit, because the CV-1800 only has a 6" input, which he was suggesting using with an 8" mains. I'm just wondering why this system would be better than using the CVMax with the 8" mains. I imagine the 16" blower will increase the static pressure, but why restrict it with the 6" input? Maybe the motor needs this resistance to keep from overloading? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I would think the better way to go would be the cv1800 with 16" blower and good 7" steel pipe from the cv1800 all the way to the machines. Apparently Bill feels the cv1800 gives better separation and the 8" pipe is to reduce losses without reducing velocity so much it might clog.
bababrown

Back