"Intake Transition" Length and Angle

DRB

Would there be any negative impact from shortening the intake transition? and/or installing it upside down?

I am running my ductwork under the floor and want to minimize the loss of suction in in the run between the collector and the floor.

I just read and older post that suggests I NOT change the inlet angle by installing it upside down.

It also sounds like I want it to be as much a 5' longer, not shorter.

Long subtle curves are better than sharp bends but also add to the overall length adding to losses. At some point there must be diminishing returns.

Any general advice on getting down to the floor?

Last edited:
If you have the wall space to spare you could tilt the cyclone such that the intake is pointing to a more favourable angle towards the floor. It also lowers the intake so the duct to the floor is shorter. Here is a link to an old Fine Woodworking discussion. In post #9 it showed a drawing of the cyclone mounted on an angle in the roof. You could do the same to use fewer fittings and a little less straight duct to the floor. Picture a 45º and possibly a 15º or 22.5º out of the floor and then straight to the inlet, verses a couple 90º fittings and the straight pipes plus whatever you need to do to get the 11º inlet angle matched up. It sounds like I'm a heretic but I know of a guy in the Toronto area that moved into a basement and remounted his to the same configuration in the FWW drawing. He told me it works just as good as when he had it mounted the traditional way in his former shop. The wall space it takes up could be recovered by having shelves or racks above and below the tilted cyclone. A few years ago there was a picture gallery of peoples installations that was lost when the forum upgraded software. In it there were at least 2 that had the cyclones mounted on an angle. Something to think about.

Pete

Reactions: DRB
Interesting. That thread mentions the unit will even work mounted horizontaly with some caveats. If I end up playing around with this I will add my findings here.

Back