Lead based paint and an open dust bin clean-out port

wilbur_cvc

This is a two part question. I have an 1800CV with 6" PVC ducting, which i've been using for a few years with great results. Last weekend, I lent my shop to a friend to plane some shiplap.

1. What he didn't tell me was that he was planing off leaded paint. I tested dust in the planer rollers/bed and verified that there was a hazardous level of lead dust. Should the filters be replaced?

2. I asked him to clean out the dust bin before he started work. Which he did. The problem is that he forgot to replace the clean-out port cap on the dust bin (I have a 4" PVC screw cap on the top of the dust bin barrel for easy access - this is what he did not replace). It looks like the cyclone was sucking air in through the open port... The barrel was clean with no chips, the surrounding area was clean as well. However, the filter stack appears to have filled up with all the chips. The next day, I asked him to go clean up the filter stack clean-out. Which he did (and took all the chips to hazardous waste). Then I went to work cleaning the shop and the machine. I ran the collector yesterday only because I was testing some breaker circuits. The sound was unfamiliar... Way too quiet. But I was busy on an electric project and didn't think too much about it. Today I ran it again and not only noticed the different sound, but also the weak suction! It seemed to improve a bit as I moved around flipping open/closed blast gates to make sure there wasn't some unknown opening or all closed. But still much weaker than usual. Normally an open hose is kind of dangerous to put your hand near, and now you can cup it like a shopvac. After this test, new chips have appeared within the filter stack clean-out, and in the dust bin. One of my concerns when I discovered that my friend had done all his planing with the dust bin clean-out port open (after I ruled out it spewing lead dust all over the area) was a lack of resistance and the motor burning out. Could there be a blockage in the ducts? Could the motor have been affected by the lack of resistance?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I'm well aware of the dangers of lead paint, and am taking the contamination very seriously. I've tested the area thoroughly, and the contamination appears to be very well contained within the machine and the dust collection system. The outside of the filters and all the area around the dust collector tested negative.

I suspect your filters are badly clogged. You could blow them out with pressurized air but be very careful because of the lead dust. You might also disconect the filters to see if the suction comes back.
bababrown

Thank you for your response. I'll try that first. I have a couple follow up questions...

Would running the impeller for an extended period while the filter is completely clogged harm the motor? (my friend ran about 200 linear ft of board over the jointer and then the planer, potentially with only one brief break in between moving from jointer to planer.)

Is it possible that the motor's power would be affected by misuse? Or is it binary (i.e. it either fails to function completely - or when it runs, it will work as expected)?

Thanks again!

Running with clogged filters would tend to unload the motor so it would not harm it. Running with the bin partially open would tend to overload the motor. I am not sure if a 4" open port is enough to overload the motor. It certainly will put everything into the filter (as you know). If the motor comes up to speed I doubt it is harmed.
bababrown

Can the filters be washed? My concern is that just blowing out the filters won't be enough to remove all lead dust. If the filters can't be washed, then I would bag them and trash them.

Your experience is a great lesson for all of us. I was thinking the danger was limited to feeding a board with a nail or staple into the thickness planer or jointer. Nicked knifes are a pain, but lead dust is a nightmare in a workshop.

The Wynn NANO filters are not washable. We typically recommend giving them a good cleaning with compressed air, no more than about 80 psi. That being said, since you're working with lead dust, it may be wiser to just replace them.

Back