lumber yard pine plugging my discharge

nortana

I had about 20 pcs of 3"x12"x8' rgh pine a guy wanted cleaned up so he could use them for stair treads. My problem was that my discharge would plug up after about 4' of an 8' board. I had to constantly turn off the cyclone motor, take the lid off my chip barrel and clean it out.
I have never had any problem with hardwood chips.

My question is: is this typical of a pine that is maybe 20% moisture content or do I have a suction problem???? I have a metal 35 gal garbage can that is sealed REAL good, although as some other posts have said there lids will invert. Mine does not, but it seals to where is impossible to remove it while the cyclone is running.
gary

Some milling operations on some wood under certain conditions will result in very stringy waste rather than dust and chips. If this stringy material balls up you can expect exactly what happened.
Next time say no until the wood is dry. Your machines may have been exposed to an undesirable amount of water around the cutting heads etc. Places you can't see.

Don

[FONT=&quot]I would like to reassure him that there is nothing to be worried about the issue. I had to deal with the same situation last month. In my case I had to switch the motor off for more than 5 times in an hour. I got fed up. After this incident I insisted that I will undertake the task on one condition – the wood should be 100% dry. I have never had an issue ever since.[/FONT]

Back