Mini and MDF?

stidrvr

Ok, Heres the Deal.

I currently have this "Shop Vac" http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/9-Gallon-Vac/EN/index.htm

Using the fancy HEPA filter I managed to completely cake the filter in about 20 minutes cutting MDF. Before I get to far I know that MDF is the mother of all dusts. I am in the process of getting my shop together as of now I only have a contractors saw. The MDF Im cutting now is for the legs of my torsion box. When thats done, I will start my router table. Again being made out of MDF. Most of the project I will be doing is for the shop and being built with MDF, outfeed table, etc.

When I have the rest of my equipment is when I plan on going with the CV1400 or CV1800. Right now budget doesnt allow. I figured I could use the mini to get by, and and when I have upgraded, I can use the mini for point of use or in the garage for panel ripping.

Sp here is my question. How well do the mini work for MDF? Mostly I see videos of saw dust/chips being sucked up. Also have access to 40 gallon cardboard barrels that our weld wire comes in. Can I use this as a collection barrel or is it too large for my shop vac listed above?

Mini vs. MDF

Mini vs. MDF

Stidrvr,

I may be wrong, but since Matt & Ed go through a lot of MDF in constructing the cyclones, I thought a good bit of the dust in their demo videos was MDF.

But leaving that aside for the moment, I was surprised how well the Mini did with dust from a strip sander with a 220 belt, also fine dust, start here

The barrel you pick is not dependent upon the Mini, only how big a lid you can make for it, onto which you attach the Mini, how easy it'll be to empty, move around your shop, etc., and that it'll withstand the suction of your vac. You can use a 55 gal. drum if you wish. Or, you could get one of CV's lids for either of the two Ridgid models listed on the home page.

Regards,
DWD

Last edited:
Cardboard drum

Cardboard drum

Stidrvr,

Depending on how much MDF board you are sucking up at a time can affect the separation efficiency as will a smaller hose. I have sucked up about 4 - 16 gallon containers worth of dust with ours and haven't noticed any loss in aiflow and it does have a coating of dust on the filter.
Make sure that the lid to the container and the mini to the lid are completey sealed as any leak down there will force the dust into the filter.. Does the shop vac have a drain that's not sealed?

As far as the container I guess i would just hook the vacuum to it and see if it collapses.

As always call us if you don't feel it's working right,

Matt

Make sure that the lid to the container and the mini to the lid are completey sealed as any leak down there will force the dust into the filter.. Does the shop vac have a drain that's not sealed?

I actually dont have a Mini, well not yet. I ordered it on Mon :) should be here tomorrow (Im the guy in Wisconsin). My complaints now are just using a shop vac by itself. Im hoping that the cyclone with remove most of the "larger" pieces of dust and allow the fine dust to go to the filter.

The problem I have now is that that filter and pleats are completely filled with dust in only 15 mins of cutting. And when this happens the filter begins to compress from the loss of airflow through the filter. So Im hoping the Mini can be a temporary fix.

stidrvr,

Your Mini CV06 will indeed take out the majority of the dust and chips from any coming up the hose into it. I have a 16 gallon Shop Vac and before I bought my Mini, I used drywall filter bags inside the Vac along with the pleated filter. They didn't fill up in 15 minutes, but did cost about $8 each. Since I was buying 2-3 pairs per year, I thought that the Mini cyclone would end up saving me money in the long run. It does -- the filter has not needed cleaning in 10 months and no tell-tale fine dust is visible around the exhaust to the Vac. Meanwhile, I'm very content to empty the 5-gallon drywall compound bucket that my Mini cyclone is mounted on! I do lots of finish sanding with a hose connected to my Random Orbital sander and also use it with my mitersaw and biscuit jointer, too. It works great!

Hi,

Well it's not suprising that i misunderstood the question....I just had my gallbladder taken out yeasterday and am under the influence of meds.:D

The coating of dust that i was referring to isn't the same as a clogged filter.

Matt

Sorry to hear about the surgery :( , but congrats on the meds :D

Luckily, the Ridgid filters are washable so thats a plus. Looks like I should have my cyclone tomorrow. I will definately let you know how it works out.

Man This Thing is AWESOME!!!!!!

I work 2nd shift so it was waiting for me on the doorstep when I got home. Being to late at night and I didnt have and extra hose or sizable containers (yet). I'll have to wait til tomorrow to fully try it out, but I had a small 1.5 quart container and curiosity was killing me so I had to try it.

The suction from the vaccuum was the only thing holding on the container which had airleaks but it still worked awesome. I was holding handfuls of MDF dust allowing it to suck it in. I could watch this thing for hours. I can wait until tomorrow so that I can get an adapter made for a 5gal pail and have no air leaks. Im so excited!

Back