Mini CV06 & tough dust

Toughdust

Hello all. I am considering buying CV06 as a pre-separator for my shop vac. Before making the decision I would like to get some feedback from you fellow (wood)workers. In addition to collecting wood/MDF dust I would like to use CV06 to vacuum the fireplace every now and then. As the fireplace in in constant use the ash can be still hot. And CV06 being plastic - albeit strong plastic - worries me a bit. Anyone having experiences in this field?

In addition I'd like to vacuum the garage floor and where I live in here's a lot of mud, sand and gravel in the winter time. Will CV06 take the punishment?

TD

Hot Ash?

Hot Ash?

TD,

Can't speak for ClearVue's position. But I find myself torn by two alternate thoughts concerning vacuuming up hot ashes through the Mini. On the one hand, the PTEG plastic has a rather low yielding temperature. Doesn't take much heat to get it to soften. But on the other, the ash shouldn't dwell inside the Mini very long. Plus, with all the airflow, the fuel should consume itself rapidly, and not be hot for very long.

If you do this, you'll need a main collection bin that's capable of containing the hot ash without, oh, setting itself on fire.

Bottom line for me, I think, is that I don't think I'd use it for that purpose. The risk of damaging the not inexpensive plastic I think would outweigh the advantages. Think I'd just use the bare vac, assuming that's what you've used in the past successfully. Perhaps with a dedicated filter you can rinse out right after use for that purpose, letting it dry until you need to do the fireplace again.

Now, if the ash is cold, the Mini might be of great use increasing the amount of ash you can vacuum up before the filter clogs.

As for the garage use, the only thing the mud, sand and gravel would do, I think, is make a mess on the inside of the cyclone. The mud would stick, I'd think, and the sand and gravel would likely scratch the PTEG. So in short order, you've not got a nice, clear cyclone, but a somewhat translucent one.

The question is, then, would the prospect of maybe not having to empty the vac's barrel and cleaning its filter quite as often worth the damage to the asthetics of the Mini? Again, were it me, I think I'd rather keep the Mini relatively pristine and only use it for dry woodworking, drywall, and similar type dust, and simply take it out of the vac's line when collecting the other debris.

My two cents, for what its worth.

Regards,
DWD

Hi,

The Mini will handle the mud sand and gravel provided a) you have enough suction and B) don't mind it turning cloudy or translucent. As far as hot ash I guess that'd be about as safe as putting it in the plastic container of the shop vac with a paper filter in it. If you have a metal container on your vac with a flame resistant filter then it wouldn't be as safe. Anyway the hot ash will wind up in whatever container you put under the mini but I personally wouldn't recommend it. Fresh air and hot coals in a swirling mix doesn't sound good to me! I haven't done or experimented with what you are asking about(other than dirt and gravel) so that's about all I can comment on.

Matt

Last edited:
Thank you for your input. Actually I bought an ash separator some time ago. I don't remember the brand name but looks a lot like the attached ash separator. However it is totally unusable: the air is blown directly downwards so there's no cyclonic action. And it contains a paper filter that clogged in couple of seconds. But it is customary to use a vacuum cleaner to clean the fireplace around here. Of course with a good ash separator.

Maybe i should buy CV06 and use it exclusively in the wood shop. And buy a separate separator :) to be used with ashes and gravel. Perhaps to use it in connection with CV06 as an pre-pre-separator.

TD

Attachments

• ash_separator.jpg
    ash_separator.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
TD,

Couple of things. First, back when I lived up in the northeast as a lad, I remember when the fireplace ash got too deep (as defined by my dad), I was tasked with getting a metal bucket and using a fireplace shovel to remove a large portion, but not all, of the ash. Seems Dad's theory was there should be a bed of ash remaining, say 1" deep, to "concentrate" the fire. Hey, I was seven and believed it at the time.

At the end of the winter, with cold ashes, the broom was also employed to remove the remaining ash, a task that could be done better with a shop vac nowadays. And the Mini would save the vac's filter.

The other thought was, and I hope Matt & Ed don't get upset, that the competition's Dust Deputy, which is supposedly all steel construction, might be better suited to that task. I cannot vouch for that unit's separation characteristics or ultimate suitability, as I do not own one. This is the link.

Regards,
DWD

Thank you for your thoughts. The Dust Deputy -approach was on my mind, but I have contacted their company three times (using email, the contact form on their web site and even the UK representative) regarding shipping costs and gotten no reply. Whereas Ed answered me within 26 minutes :)

You can draw your own conclusions.

TD

TD,

You're not the first person to say that about them!

I hope you have enough information to decide whether or not it'll work for you. I Personally want to say it'd be fine on a metal bucket but that's one of those things I probably shouldn't say and if you decide to you should be able to make sure there's no glowing coals in the unit before putting the unit away in your woodshop.

One other thing to keep in mind is that they aren't as effective when loading them as is sucking up piles of stuff. They still work well by all means just not the same as if you had a constant stream of dust from a sander.

Matt

I'll second what Matt said, about the competition's lack of responsiveness to electronic contact. When I was looking, nearly 2 years ago, I had an experience similar to yours, no reply to various computer contact methods. Also, I had trouble with their site as it seemed pages were taking eons to load. I wrote all that off to their revamp of their site, and called.

On the phone, they were responsive and helpful. But that doesn't do overseas folks much good. Nor does it explain why their online customer support continues to be substandard. One has to wonder, though I have no experience either way with them, if post purchase is the same: reasonable phone support with awful online responsiveness. One has to wonder given recent and past presales experiences.

And will also second your observation that Matt & Ed have been very helpful and responsive, often going well out of their way to ensure a satisfied customer. My participation in these forums is in large part an attempt to return the favor, though at times I have to wonder if I'm doing more harm than good.

Regards,
DWD

My participation in these forums is in large part an attempt to return the favor, though at times I have to wonder if I'm doing more harm than good.

Regards,
DWD

DWD your doing a great job! ;) Your participation in this forum is always appreciated.

Thanks, Al. Unfortunately my participation must be reduced for the time being as I help She Who Must Be Obeyed surmount some medical challenges. Haven't been able to get to my shop since 11 Dec, and may not for a few more weeks as it seems I've been promoted to Chief Pot & Bottle Washer 'round here. She had a CRAO then within a week a series of TIA events (Google for detail). A blocked carotid artery was found, but little to suggest any other plaque buildup. So she is expected to make a more or less complete recovery and resume a normal existence, with the possible exception of reduced vision in one eye.

I'll be here lurking as time permits but probably won't jump in as much as in the past. So the rest of you might be able to get a word in edgewise.

Regards,
DWD

DWD - Very sorry to hear of LOYL's recent eye issues and follow-on challenges and we are hoping she will have a full recovery -- I know the support drill after LOML had three operations this past year -- I became fairly proficient at lots of things like cooking and cleaning, too. Please wish her well and take good care of her!

DWD
I am sorry to hear the news about SWMBO recent medical challenges, I am sure that your wife is in good hands with you looking after her and hope that she has a speedy recovery.

Regards,
Al

Thanks, guys. Prognosis is good according to the vets. Still, something like this has a way of putting things into focus and perspective.

Sorry to have wandered off topic with the more personal stuff.

DWD

I took a Mini and toped it with an old Hover vac motor, no filter.
Did try it once with ash, but it put out a light plume of ash (a filter would help)
For hot ash, I'd stay with the shovel method.
Last year my son did a reroof and we had roofing chips and nails and granduals clogging the gutters after the tear off. Took the Mini up to the roof and vac'd the gutters clean, except for an ocasional inch and half nail getting stuck in the hose, it worked GREAT. Sure made a racket though. I use it for anything that's not wet. (the mdf will swell unless you seal it) ---- yeah, i know, i tried "washing" it (put the hose in a bucket :) )... that worked great too, but wasn't too good for the mdf base.
However, if you want to be sure the plastic stays "clear" you might not want to do these things, still it "clouds" up with dust anyway. to me it's a work horse.

Back