missing section in the manual

Roadkill401

I don't know if this was intentional, but there is a key part that is missing inside the manual.

You show a nice photo section on hooking up the relay, but nothing on where the wire will go from the relay to connect to the actual motor. I can only assume that there are some plates that need to be removed from the motor and some from of connection that will need to be made. For over $1500 in cost to buy this unit, it would be nice if the manual showed me how to actually hook the sucker up. I know that there must be power to the motor at some point.

Some photographs of where to hook up the wires on the motor, or the likes would be good.

Thanks.

You can go to: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/120554.htm and find the wiring code for the motor at the bottom. I can't for the life of me remember clockwise (CW) or counter clockwise (designation missing on the code). My motor came with directions. Look in the box again to make sure you didn't miss them in the excitement of opening everything up.
There are 2 wires for each of the hot inputs (L1 and L2 in the wiring code) and one ground behind the electrical plate box on the side of the motor. L1 and L2 hook up to the two hot terminal screws on the relay that pass the power through from the breaker box when engaged with the trigger wires. The ground hooks up with the ground coming from the breaker box. If this comes with a metal box for housing the relay, ground the box to the ground wires as well. When I bought my cyclone from Ed, I had to order the motor and all the relay equipment separately, so I used a plastic electrical enclosure to mount my relay in.

Now, with that said, it doesn't sound like you are very familiar with electrical wiring. I'm sorry if I'm making an assumption that is wrong. BUT if I'm right, get professional help for wiring this. 220 voltage can kill you. It's not something to take lightly. 110 will give you a jolt and let you know you did something wrong, unless you're standing in water, then it's not pretty. 220 can do that to you with out the water added. If you decide to try this on your own, be sure the power is turned off and the breaker marked with tape and a note to not turn on under any circumstances if it is out of your sight. Even then, carefully test the wires to make sure there is no power using a volt/ohm meter, or a neon test light.
I say this because I want you to come back and preach to the choir on how well this cyclone works and to see pictures of your installation. Jim.

Note: I am not an electrician, nor should my suggestions be taken in place of a qualified trained and licensed electrician.

I think that you are missing my point.

After looking over the motor, and removing some plates, figure it out. But I still stand confused. From your comment, it sounds like you are justifying the omitance of any photographs inside the pdf manual of the motor connection as a safety issue, then would you not be in the exact same situation hooking up a relay inside the connection box??

My issue is that there IS a photograph and very good instructions with photographs on hooking up the Relay. There IS NOT anything about the motor. Both are supplied by Clearvue when you order a compete system. If they feel it is not safe to hook up this unit by yourself, then logically, they should not include any instructions dealing with electrical installation in the manual.

My personal view is that if you are stupid enough to play with any voltage while standing in a bucket of water, then you deserve a Darwin award. I can only take it that you don't know very much about electricity as by your statement:

220 voltage can kill you. It's not something to take lightly. 110 will give you a jolt and let you know you did something wrong

Read this site Ohio State University and you will see that it's not the voltage that kills, but the current through you that does. This is a 30amp circuit that we are dealing with, and at that level, you can stop your heart, regardless of if it's 110 or 220v.

I posted here as I feel it would be nice if they had better instructions with some photographs of the motor hookup.

Matt.

Matt, I put my answers in red so that it is easier for me to keep up with. Please read this with a grain of salt as your reply has hit somewhat of a raw nerve in me, and I'm trying my best to be civil.

I think that you are missing my point.

After looking over the motor, and removing some plates, figure it out. But I still stand confused. From your comment, it sounds like you are justifying the omitance of any photographs inside the pdf manual of the motor connection as a safety issue, then would you not be in the exact same situation hooking up a relay inside the connection box??
Not justifying anything that might be missing from a document I've never seen. I got mine before CV even shipped the motors with the cyclone. I'm saying that the information is on the company's website that the motors are purchased from for you to use, and gave you a link to that site.

My issue is that there IS a photograph and very good instructions with photographs on hooking up the Relay. There IS NOT anything about the motor. Both are supplied by Clearvue when you order a compete system. If they feel it is not safe to hook up this unit by yourself, then logically, they should not include any instructions dealing with electrical installation in the manual.
I'm saying, and I appologized up front if I was making an assumption that is wrong about your understanding of electricity, that the wiring from the relay to the motor is simple following the information on the website that I posted. I even mentioned that I couldn't remember if the motor was CW or CCW. I left that up for you to ask the guys at CV or someone else to pop in and clear up. Sorry, but I'm not going to move the junk I've got stored in front of my cyclone and get on a ladder 10' in the air and take my motor's electrical cover off and try to read the wiring designations.

My personal view is that if you are stupid enough to play with any voltage while standing in a bucket of water, then you deserve a Darwin award. I can only take it that you don't know very much about electricity as by your statement:
I agree with your first sentence. The second sentence sounds like you are turning my assumption about your electrical abilities back on me, without the courtesy of saying that you too could be wrong in your assumption. And you don't need a bucket of water to stand in to create the problem, just a connection of water from your feet to a ground source. But I'm guessing you already know that...others reading this might not.

Read this site Ohio State University and you will see that it's not the voltage that kills, but the current through you that does. This is a 30amp circuit that we are dealing with, and at that level, you can stop your heart, regardless of if it's 110 or 220v.
But this is a 30 amp 220 hook up. That is in fact my exact concern that if you don't feel you are capable of doing it, get help. I had never worked with 220 before I built my shop. But I understand the basic hook up of AC electrical. If you can wire 110 volt, you can do 220. The hookup basics are the same, 220 just has one more hot leg to deal with that is on a different phase from the electric companies transformer.
I posted here as I feel it would be nice if they had better instructions with some photographs of the motor hookup.

I don't have a problem with that. Possibly it was an oversight. I'm guessing the brothers will correct that. Again, keep in mind, I've never seen the instructions you got. The instructions that came with my unit only covered the assembly of the cyclone body and where to order the motor from. Using a relay was not even mentioned. I got my information from the website I posted for you and from another site:http://www.beautifulwood.net/html/wireless_dc.html
Matt.

Matt, in the end, I guess I don't understand your question then about the wiring from the relay to the motor. Are you asking what type of wiring to use? Or are you asking what wires hook up where? Or both? I thought I gave you at least a partial answer to which wires to hook up with the website. I personally used some 10 gauge 600 volt SOOW stranded wire, two hots and one ground, no neutral, from Home Depot for mine. Probably a bit overkill, and it's not cheap, but it made me happy. Used the same wire on my 3 HP cabinet saw. You do not want to use solid "romex" wiring like is used in the supply of power from the breaker box to the relay. Think of an electrical extension cord here that goes from the wall to an appliance. If that still doesn't answer your question, then let us know. I'll gladly help where I can, and point out where I don't have the answers. And maybe Dennis Peacock's website above will answer some questions for you too. Jim.

Back