Modify transition to go straight out with pipe

JJohnston

I've spent the better part of a day mocking up cardboard templates of the major components, and putting the unit together upside down on the floor, and I've decided I'm going to have to remote mount my filters. Can anyone give me some tips on designing a transition that will mate the blower housing to a pipe that sticks straight out?

I exhaust mine outside, so built a new transition for that. Just build the part that mounts to the blower the same dimensions as the stock unit, then build a transition to round from there. Here are a couple pictures of mine. DSCN1289.jpgDSCN1290.jpg This is a picture of my exhaust mocked up on the floor. DSCN1316.jpg Hope this helps. Jim.

Is it not important to make it smooth? Or is that only on the suction side?

It might be better to be smooth, but I couldn't find any square pipe or wyes! :D Actually, the square part is coming out of the exhaust, and the round is where the pipe fits in, so all of the square part is within the pipe. Pipe will have more square inches, and should actually slow down the speed of the exhaust, ever so slightly. Other than maybe some turbulence, I doubt it would make a difference. If concerned, there are some programs that will take the 2 measurements, round and square, and let you print out a template. You then can cut it out of sheet metal, and form a transition yourself. I just don't see it being an issue on the exhaust though. Jim.

When in doubt, make your own transition! I found this website and made a transition from a small sheet of galvanized sheet stock I bought at Lowe's. The layout was straight forward and I left a 1" tab at each end for the connections. In my case, I am transitioning from the blower mouth to 8" HVAC insulated duct that will carry my exhaust outside. This is a useful source for the layout.

I don't have any drafting software at home, so I can't look at the results of that site.:( My high school drafting teacher taught us a techique to lay out those transitions by hand, and we made some out of paper, but I've long since forgotten how. :( So, sharp-shouldered it is!

Straight Blower Outlet Transition

Straight Blower Outlet Transition

I'll post the DXF file that I used to create the 12" long smooth transition from the blower outlet to 8" round duct in case you can find someone that can plot it out for you from a CAD program. NOTE: This file must be renamed to "transition.dxf" before it can be read by a CAD program.

If it doesn't work for you, maybe it will for someone else. When I get a chance, I'll take a picture of it to show how it attaches to the blower body.

Attachments

• transition.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
Back