Motor Cooling

ChrisP

There was a thread some time back about cooling the motor but I don't think it got to the problem or at least the problem in my case. The cyclone will be totally enclosed, no filters and exhausting to atmosphere. Given that the cyclone is in a totally sealed compartment is motor cooling going to be an issue and if so how do I maintain a sound proof enclosure and get air into it and out of it at the same time. A couple of folded baffles seems like the only way or will the motor not need cooling at all for the average hobby user?

Chris, I have mine open to the attic. In fact, my motor is about 5" from the roof. I rely on the convection cooling in the attic with the ridge vent about 18" away from the motor. But have electrical available to hook up a fan to blow on the motor should I find I need to.
Something you can do is get one of the remote temp sensors that allows you to read outdoor temps from inside, and hook that up to monitor the temp. Place the probe close to the motor and the readout where ever it is convenient for you to read. Keep an eye on that to see if you need to do something else. If you find you do, then you could even duct air from outside the closet directed at the motor using one of the duct booster fans available for use on HVAC systems, and another duct back to the shop through a folded design if need be for noise control. Chances are, unless you have the motor on for hours at a time, you won't need any extra cooling for the motor. Jim.

Motor cooling

Motor cooling

Chris,
What are the dimensions of the closet and what do you have for insulation? Both R-value and thickness of insulation? You should dissipate 5% or about 200 watts of power in the motor itself. (The total will be about 4000 watts.) That part will heat the closet. All the rest of the heat will end up in the airstream. Given the closet wall area and R-value of insulation I can tell you the rise in air temperature.
bababrown

Chris,
What are the dimensions of the closet and what do you have for insulation? Both R-value and thickness of insulation? You should dissipate 5% or about 200 watts of power in the motor itself. (The total will be about 4000 watts.) That part will heat the closet. All the rest of the heat will end up in the airstream. Given the closet wall area and R-value of insulation I can tell you the rise in air temperature.
bababrown

There will be mo air stream as the exhaust transition exits the cabinet and the exhausted air is outside. The dimensions will be about 8.5 feet tall by about 30" square. I am going to use 3/4" MDF to line it with and the same to wall the frame externally. The MDF will be lined with acoustic foam and I was going to fill the frame spaces with flattened cardboard boxes to help with the sound reduction. The cardboard is an idea I thought up that may or may not work but it can't hurt and is cheap.

motor cooling

motor cooling

Chris,
I estimate an R value of 10 for your walls and probably 4 for the door. You should have about 70 square feet of walls and about 15 square feet for the door. Based on 4000 watts into the motor and 95% efficiency the motor will dissipate about 200 watts or roughly 700 BTU/hour which will end up in the closet. Then delta T times 70 square feet divided by an R of 10 plus delta T times 15 square feet divided by an R of 4 must equal 700 BTU/ hour. So delta T will be about 65 degrees F. If your shop is at 72 degrees the closet should get up to 137 degrees or so. It will take some time to get there but I think it will be too hot. I think you should circulate some air thru the closet.
bababrown

Baba, a bit more information on what the motor is doing. It is pulling 18 amps total while running as read on a VFD, does this compute with your figures of 4000 watts? BTW thanks for taking the time to do the maths for me as it is something I have no idea of how to do.

motor cooling

motor cooling

Chris,
With 18 amps I get 205 watts dissipation which is close enough. The number should change a little depending on which blast gate you open. I think a 50 to 100 CFM bathroom fan would move enough air to keep the motor cool. You could mount it high on the wall inside the closet and vent it thru the wall. Usually they use a short length of plastic hose ( like a dryer vent hose) which should keep the bathroom fan noise down.
bababrown

Back