Muffler Placement

Bill E

Looking for a little input/confirmation. I have a 1800 Clear Vue Dust collector and I have made a muffler for it. How close does the muffler need to be to the exhaust? Should I run some duct then connect the muffler or first the muffler then the duct? I will be venting to the outside so I don't have any filters.

My assumption is to connect the muffler directly to the exhaust then run the duct.

Thanks for any help,

Bill

Last edited:
Muffler Placement

I shouldn't matter where you put the muffler. It is only going to reduce the noise outside from the outlet. If your pipe or muffler is mounted rigidly to the blower, you might get some mechanically transmitted noise that will radiate from the outside surfaces of the pipe or muffler. You won't know until you try it

I'm confused (nothing new there)

I'm confused (nothing new there)

I shouldn't matter where you put the muffler. It is only going to reduce the noise outside from the outlet. If your pipe or muffler is mounted rigidly to the blower, you might get some mechanically transmitted noise that will radiate from the outside surfaces of the pipe or muffler. You won't know until you try it

Hi guys,

I haven't yet bought one of these units, but definitely will. I'm now planning on where to put it and how I will reduce the noise. The unit will be inside my shop and will use the recommended filters. As such, if I'm going to use a muffler, which I've heard is highly recommended, where exactly do you put it? Is it placed between the cyclone exhaust and the filters? A picture is worth a thousand words, so if you have one, please send it my way

kikodoss@gmail.com

Thanks,
Erick

Muffler Placement

Erick,

You want the muffler downstream of the blower outlet, so it'll work much as a car muffler, smoothing out any surges in airflow caused by blower blade passage. On a car motor, pressure spikes and valleys are caused by exhaust valve openings and closings, respectively.

If you're going to use ClearVue's curved transition, then the most practical placement seems to be at the exhaust end of that piece, though there's no reason it couldn't be placed right at the blower outlet. Just depends on how you scheme your filter placement. Steve (Woodman) placed his, which he described as made per the recommendation on Bill Pentz' site, at transition outlet: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/CV1800+and+CVMax/Steves-Cyclone/Picture_015.jpg.html

An example of a different installation, with some rather large changes to ClearVue's "default", is John Randle's. He mounted his blower in the attic, away from the cyclone body, and also used his attic to place a muffler in the return ducting between blower outlet and filter inlet: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/CV1800+and+CVMax/rand4723/DSCF1563.JPG.html

I seem to recall there may be some more examples in the gallery, but with these two, you'll get the idea I'm sure.

Regards,

DWD

Erick,

You want the muffler downstream of the blower outlet, so it'll work much as a car muffler, smoothing out any surges in airflow caused by blower blade passage. On a car motor, pressure spikes and valleys are caused by exhaust valve openings and closings, respectively.

If you're going to use ClearVue's curved transition, then the most practical placement seems to be at the exhaust end of that piece, though there's no reason it couldn't be placed right at the blower outlet. Just depends on how you scheme your filter placement. Steve (Woodman) placed his, which he described as made per the recommendation on Bill Pentz' site, at transition outlet: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/CV1800+and+CVMax/Steves-Cyclone/Picture_015.jpg.html

An example of a different installation, with some rather large changes to ClearVue's "default", is John Randle's. He mounted his blower in the attic, away from the cyclone body, and also used his attic to place a muffler in the return ducting between blower outlet and filter inlet: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/CV1800+and+CVMax/rand4723/DSCF1563.JPG.html

I seem to recall there may be some more examples in the gallery, but with these two, you'll get the idea I'm sure.

Regards,

DWD

Thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it.
By the way, I took a look at your install, and it's a thing of beauty.

Erick

Thanks, Erick. Its coming, albeit slowly. My get up and go got up and left. Currently working on a way to attach the cyclone body to the blower housing that allows independent rotation after the fact. Sort of like the attachment scheme Ed and Matt use to attach the blower housing to the motor mount plate. Just the same only different, as they say. Making the pieces isn't time consuming, but painting seems to take at least a week. And that's assuming the wife's car isn't in my spray booth, as she seems to think that part of the garage is her parking place.

Regards,

DWD

Back