my cv1800 noise measurements.

martys

Sometimes noise information is hard to find. Here's my story and I'm sticking to it. Click here for the same story with pics. The pics are at the very bottom of the thread.

I have a 20' x 30' 2x4 framed shop that has insulated & finished walls and ceiling.

The DC is mounted in the corner of the shop to a wall with foam isolation pads to help dampen the noise from the motor transmitting to the wall. I'm using 7" spiral trunk with 6" drops.

Standing 6' away the noise from an Iphone app was 93db without a trashcan or any ducting.

A 10'-3" high closet was built around the unit. The walls consist of staggered 2x4's with Roxul safe and sound between the studs. The inside of the room was finished with 1/2" sound board and 1/2" drywall. The outside of the room was finished with 1/2" soundboard and 3/4" grade A birch plywood.

The door is 37" wide and 10'-3' tall. It's made the same as the walls except to make it lighter I didn't put the drywall on the inside. But, some left over Styrofoam was applied (I didn't notice any difference in sound when I applied the styrafoam).

The sealing surface of the door has 3/16" thick x 1.25" wide rubber insulation.

The ceiling was built with 2x4's with roxul and soundboard. The motor is cooled from filtered air exiting the ceiling. I put some styrofoam near the motor but not completely surrounding it to try to reduce the sound. I don't think it had much affect.

Approx 8' of 8" diameter R8 ducting vents filtered air to the shop and acts as a muffler. The 8" diam outlet isn't big enough for the air to escape so the room is pressurized. to help reduce the pressure, another 4" diameter outlet was added near the floor. I can still feel quite a bit of air escape in the .25" gap under the door.

I still don't have blast gates on the ducting but the sound currently measures 73 to 74 db. I was hoping to get in the high 60's but nothing I'm doing to improve it is paying off.

As a side note, I installed another CV at my other shop and used 6" S&D pvc. The PCV is WAY easier to work with and is a much cleaner install (IMHO). I'll never use metal again. I estimate that it has taken me 10x longer to cut/fit/seal the metal.

Last edited:
Mine was in the mid 70s after building a 2x4 closet around it. I recall seeing others with similar readings, so I was satisfied. I had about 6" by 24" venting that ran behind a wall mounted workbench. This seemed to diffuse the sound quite well. The sound of air moving through a single blast gate is about the same as the sound coming from the closet.

Steve

I got all the blast gates installed and sealed the bottom of the door. The system produces 64 db with one blast gate open. I'm happy, happy, happy. I can actually hear the stereo playing with the duct collector on. It made a big difference once the piping was done.

Back