Need some CV dimensions and install advice

PDXLuthier

I'm looking at getting a CV1800 for my basement shop, and I would like some guidance on dimensions and options for fitting it to my space. I have looked at the "footprint" specs available online, and I still have some questions.

The floor-to-ceiling space in my shop is approximately 93", including the space between the 7.5" deep joists (that is, it's 85.5" from the floor to the bottom of joist and 7.5" from the bottom of the joist to the ceiling).

To make it work, I will need to fit the blower motor between two joists - what is the minimum horizontal distance between the side of the motor and the edge of the fan housing? I plan to install the cyclone in the corner, so I could mount it off either wall depending on how it fits with the joists.

Attached are a couple pics of my current set up to illustrate the constraints.

I also need to figure out the best way to reduce the total height of the install by about 2-3 inches. How would you recommend reducing the overall height? Are there options apart from using a shorter collection bin? I already have a 27" collection can I would like to use again. I also need to be able to remove the can from under the cyclone, and I'm not sure if that is taken into account in the height specs you provide on the website.

I should mention that I plan to vent the unit directly outside, so I am not concerned with the height of the filter stack.

Thanks for your help!
Nate
Portland

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 2
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 2
The attached diagram from the ClearVue Cyclones website show a 28" high dust collection bin in their diagram of the CV1800 -- many users have placed their units with the Leeson motor between floor joists as you've done without problems (just maintain some air circulation for cooling). Your easiest solution is to make a shorter bin (the critical element is that it is air-tight and that you can manage emptying it).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• cv1800-lh-single-phase-with-filters.jpg
    cv1800-lh-single-phase-with-filters.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the quick reply Rob.

Related to fitting the motor between the joists, I'm wondering what are the dimensions from the motor to the edge of the motor mount (shown as X in the attached pic)? How about from the motor to edge of the blower housing (shown as Y in the attached pic)?

Attachments

• Motor spacing.jpg
    Motor spacing.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1
X is 16" and Y is about 14" (I have my unit apart right now - the measurement is to the outlet side of the blower housing). While I don't think sizes have changed, my unit is late 2007 vintage. Remember that you could also gain some advantage by using a different mounting strategy (e.g., hanging the unit from the joists).

Back