new to dust collection

mailman

I have been a woodworker for 25 years or so, I usualy use my shop vac only, 12 gal, 5Hp, I have just purchased a small CNC milling machine, 46"x26", do you think the mini will do the job.Thanks, Mailman

Mini for CNC Machine

Mini for CNC Machine

Mailman,

If you're happy with the dust collection capabilities of your vac when used with the CNC machine, the Mini will help by separating out most of the dust and chips, so you don't have to empty the 12 gal. vac as often. You will, though, have to empty whatever barrel you use under the Mini.

The Mini's function is to separate out the majority of the dust and chips from a vac's airstream, so the latter's canister doesn't fill as much, and the filter stays cleaner longer, which in turn means it keeps its suction and flow capabilities longer between cleanouts.

This means that the vac will have to run while the CNC machine is running. Some vacs aren't intended for that sort of more or less continuous duty. But some are quite happy to run a lot.

Shop vacs typically have high suction and low airflow, relatively speaking. Vacs have 100, 150 inches of water suction but only about 100 or so CFM airflow. The full size cyclones and dust collectors have lower suction, on the order of 15 inches, but much higher airflow, like 1000 CFM. This allows the capture of airborne dust, something a shop vac, even with a Mini, can't do.

If you haven't found it already, under the "General Info" main category in the header on CV's main page is a "Links" selection. First item on that page is Bill Pentz' very informative site on the dangers of airborne dust and dust collection. Granted, its rather long and involved, and takes a while to digest, but once done, you'll have a good understanding of the issue.

Regards,
DWD

Last edited:
Back