Newbie starting a business that requires DC

gau18man

Hello all,

I'm putting the pieces together for a Soda Blasting company. We will be utilizing an auto paint booth 14X26X10 for "inshop" blasting. Dust collection will need to be top notch. The Clear vue cyclone system is something I would like to incorporate. The blasting booth will be shooting 150 PSI and around 100 CFM. I'm wondering if the 3phase CVMAX can handle it. I envision a horizontal 8-10' PVC pipe 4" off the wall and floor with multiple 3/4" holes drilled.

This Forum is great loads of info from you all
Thanks
Ray

Newbie starting ...

Newbie starting ...

The silence is deafening! It's probably because, like me, people are trying to figure out what you want to do. Do you want to clean the air, or recover material, or both? Is the blaster a hand held thing similar to a regular sand blast gun? Is this to strip cars? Please write a few lines to describe the need; it sounds interesting.
bababrown

Newbie starting a business that requires DC

Sorry about that...

looking for maximum air quality I can get and recover all the material. The nozzle for blasting is the same as a sandblasting setup. The dust and debris will vary from paint off of fiberglass and metal; to rust and carbon deposits from engine parts. I have read Charles Neil's thread on the Thein Dust collector and have a feeling I will need to scale up the dimensions if I go that route.

My hope is to have a dual use booth. I know it will probably be ton of fabrication with a lot of trial and error. but can be done. many DC systems are very complicated, reverse pulse and filter shakers. too many moving parts:eek:
I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S method.:D

Thanks for the Reply BabaBrown!

Newbie starting ...

Newbie starting ...

I think the CV Max is as good a choice as you will find. I have two concerns of the cyclone. First is wear where the material first strikes the walls of the cyclone. My understanding of soda is that it does not wear plastic, glass, or metal substrates like sand blasting but the inlet of the cyclone will see a lot of material over time. I doubt a steel cyclone would be any better. Also, I have no idea what the soda crystals are like after they have been fractured. I would think they are still crystals with sharp edges. And that points to my second concern as to the size of the particles and how good the cyclone separates them. ?
My experience with sand blasting (using black beauty) is that the particles bounce off with high velocities in all directions. At 10 SCFM it throws stuff all over; I can imagine the mess with 100 SCFM! Unless you can contain the soda and the junk removed with a hood you won't have a chance at picking it up. A vacuum will pick up material at no more than a few inches. You can clean the air but that may be too late to be of use.
Again, I need to know more about the soda after blasting. Does it leave a lot of fine dust entrained in the air? Or is it dense enough and large enough to settle out quickly? Also, does it represent a respiratory problem?
bababrown

Back