Noise Control- Acoucstic Foam

fsotcher

I just finished installing a CV1800 in a DC room. I lined all the walls with 2 x 12 x 12 inch acoustic foam wedges purchased from The Foam Factory (http://www.foamdistributing.com) About $1.24 per square. I build a separate enclosure for the filters. The noise level is so low, you hardly know the system in on. See photos under Fred Sotcher (http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/CV1800+and+CVMax/Fred+Sotcher) or contact me at fsotcher@gmail.com

In response to some questions I received on the frame build from Superstrut
I used Superstrut cone nuts and standard 1/2" hex nuts.
No problem with loose nuts. Using 1/2" hardware you can get them very tight.
No loc-tite required
I did not bolt to the floor, but you could. I did secure two legs to the wall using bolts passing through springs to dampen any vibrations into the building.
I used diagonal bracing to avoid racking.
I isolated the motor plate on four spring loaded vibration dampers as well as the dampers sent with the unit.
Attached find drawings and parts list.
The frame seems to work very well, I am glad I went to the trouble to make it.
I have a drawing of the frame available for the asking.

Last edited:
just order the 2 packs of 2inch wedge form 4' x 72", (4 panels per pack). Will hand a 4x4 closet 10 feet tall. Worked out to $1.20 per sq/ft. Great price!

Revised Noise Control Cabinet

Revised Noise Control Cabinet

I installed the noise control cabinet as shown on the related thread. I am very satisfied with the sound damping as well as the overall operation of the dust collector. I did make one change to the system that I should note. In the original design I build a sound damping cabinet around the filters in hopes of reducing the noise output. I underestimated the amount of cleaning that the filters required. I has assumed that I would need to blow them out every six months or so, not every time I emptied the dust can. The enclosure made cleaning the filters too hard. I just eliminated the cabinet and made a much larger collection box below the filters with a sealed clean out drawer. I still have the two filters stacked on top of each other. The complete unit is still installed in a sound proof room.

Fred Sotcher
fsotcher@gmail.com

Fred,
What filters are you using? Are you using nano filters? My experience, and I believe for most others, is that the standard Wynn filters can be run for months without cleaning. Certainly for many bin fills of dust. I pick up mostly fine dust from sanding wood bowls and still the cyclone separates most of it. I suspect you have a leak in the bin or lid which is causing poor separation. If you have much dust circling in the cyclone start looking for a leak. The seal is very important for good separation. And cleaning filters is no fun!
bababrown

Cleaning Filters

Cleaning Filters

bababrown,

Thank you for your fast response. I am using the two Wynn filters supplied with the unit. I don't think there is a leak in the bin, as there is almost no dust circling in the cyclone, but I will check further.

Fred S.

Back