Noise isn't a big deal

tamathumper

I have my cyclone mounted in an open frame of my own design, in the corner of my basement shop.

When running, it's not as loud as the Harbor Freight or Penn State dust bag collectors I have, and upstairs in the house it's not a big deal at all.

With all the threads on noise control, I expected it to be much worse, but I'm gladly surprised at how manageable it is.

Those HF and PS dust collectors must be horribly loud. I don't feel comfortable running my CV in a subdivision without adding a closet around it. My last installation in the garage with a closet was so quiet that my wife in the house never even noticed when it was on.

Steve

Everyone's perception of noise is different. I agree the CV cyclone is amazingly quiet, compared to other units available on the market. But low frequency sound can travel a long way and neighbors might not appreciate the throb.

For me, I live in a community with a POA/HOA with pretty tough covenants. So I have every incentive to be creative and figure out a way to isolate and attenuate sound that might leave my basement shop. My sound closet enclosure cost more to build than the CV unit. I had other issues as well to contend with - mostly thinking about fit and finish of the basement workshop should I sell the house at some point in the future.

As I am divorced, I don't have the luxury of an early warning system that the shop noise might be a problem. On the other hand, I get the shop and the systems that I want, without a veto from a higher authority.

Just an idea, but if possible it might be useful to discuss this with the closest neighbors ahead of time and let them know that you would like feedback of any noise issues because you want to address them promptly. Maybe take or offer to make them something in your shop as a goodwill gesture? Perhaps they would then be more inclined to work with you on noise rather than complain to the association.

We have a farm and some of our animals can be quite noisy, like the donkeys, guineas, and peacocks! We have no association rules to deal with (and someone who buys a house next to a farm can't really complain much) but I make it a point to make good will visits to neighbors and do things like take them some home-bottled honey and veggies, offer to till their garden plots with the tractor, etc. I bring up the noisy animals and joke that if the guineas get to be too annoying, just let me know if they really do taste like chicken. :) So far, we have remained on good terms.

I'd hate to hear a really loud cyclone - mine is painfully loud inside the closet without hearing protection but quite comfortable in the shop. I didn't record db levels yet but it's much quieter than my 18" bandsaw. My "closet" is 4x8 with 6" staggered stud walls, 1/2" ply both sides, and a baffled and sound-dampened return. I built it with the double doors opening into my equipment bays instead of into the shop which helps some with the noise too. I have both the cyclone and big air compressor in the noise room.

JKJ

Back