Old Mini inlet falling out

RMason

Hello,
I have an old original design mini that has the rigid white plastic ring at the inlet that the hose hooks into.

This white ring keeps falling out. I cleaned it off and tried to 'glue' it back in with clear caulk, but it fell out as soon as I tried to use it.

Anyone else have this problem and came up with a solution? Any ideas on the best way to glue this back in?

Thanks for your help. It is very annoying to have the hose pop off every couple minutes.

Rob

Rob,
I have the ClearVue lid that Ed produced. The white ring in mine has held in place though the black plastic piece sometimes falls out. I would fasten the ring in place with 4 small sheet metal screws spaced equally around the inlet. Drill 4 small holes thru the inlet plastic and into the white ring for the screws. Then drill clearance holes thru the inlet only. I'd still use some caulk to make sure it seals. I would use only #4 or #6 screws.
bababrown

bababrown,
Thanks for the idea. It probably does need some mechanical fastener help. There is a lot of torque with the hose dangling on it.

Does your white ring seem to be held in just by caulk?

When you say black plastic piece, do you mean the hose? or do you have another piece?

Thanks, Rob.

Rob,
The ring is held in only by caulk or adhesive, I don't know what Ed used. The lid was made for the Rigid vac. It uses a black sleeve that fits inside the white ring (or the original lid) and the hose fits over the sleeve. I think my old Craftsman vac had the sleeve as part of the hose. By the way I really like the lid version. I use a HEPA filter in it with an over-bag (an old tee shirt) so it has lasted for 2 or 3 years.
bababrown

Bababrown,
I have a Craftsman shop vac that is very similar to that Rigid vac, but apparently the can is slightly different dimensions. One of my goals is to fabricate my mini into a lid like Ed had. Right now the mini is attached to a 5 gallon bucket, which falls over constantly.

But I'm still trying to get my big cyclone, that I bought from Ed at the same time I got the mini, up and running. So speedy I'm not.

Rob

Rob,
I posted a dozen or so pictures of the CV lid back in March. Look at all posts by bababrown and find three posts on 03/09/2012 with attached pictures. The exact vac and cyclone are no longer made but the replacements are quite similar. It should help in making your own.
bababrown

Thanks, Those will be helpful if I ever get my act together. Way in the future I may throw some questions your way.

Rob

Back