Outside Exhaust?

K

Ken Deckelman

I am this = close to buying a ClearVue...
Getting my shop setup, Just got a Grizz 1023SLX, 0555 Band saw and new drill press, already have a 13" planer, 6" jointer, 10" SCMS and plenty more stuff!
So, My plan is to get the Clearvue after I sell my old TS, DP, and BS, plus some other things..

What is the downside of running the exhaust outside? How large is the pipe on the exhaust, and is it easy to buy a vent cover for outside largewr than the typical 4" dryer type?

My plan is to run 6" S&D or 6" metal, not sure witch yet...

Sorry to be so wordy, just getting excited...

Kenny

Ken, I just read a post from Bill Pentz on a wood forum I'm a member of where he said that exhausting outside is preferred. I hadn't read that on his site before. I may change my idea of what I'm going to do, at least temporarily, and run exhaust to the outside. I don't have any gas heating problems to deal with, in fact my shop is a detached building with no heat or A/C. :( If you are in a basement, then you will have some safety issues to deal with regarding anything with an open flame if you exhaust inside air to the exterior. If you are total electric, there shouldn't be a problem no matter what you do.
The exhaust port is not a round tube, it is a square "channel" that turns 90 degrees down. This could easily be left off or turned up, not sure if it could be turned sideways. Might have to build a transition to round to do the exhaust. Running it straight up and out the roof with a rain proof cap might be my easiest route. I guess I need to go out to the shop and scope this out! Jim.

I just installed my clear vue and love it. It sucks big time. I built a shop with a second story and put the dust collector up there. While I was installing it, I didn't have the filters. When I ran it the air that was sucked out of the first floor and exausted into the second floor. I had a hard time closing the upstairs door with the amount of air being brought back down stairs. I did get my filters and installed them down stairs so I don't have that problem anymore. What is removed from the first floor is replaced through the filters in the first floor. If you are gong to vent this outside, you have to have a way of replacing the air removed. That means bringing in outside air. I my area, it gets above 100 and below 0 and I don't want to bring that kind of air into my shop.

Back