Photos of Installed Bin Sensor?

sreilly24590

Anyone know of any pictures of the Bin Sensor installation? Just helps sometimes to see it installed rather than just reading about it.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, You should have received some detailed installation instructions from ClearVue with pictures. If you didn't, call Cathy to see if she can email them to you.

In the interim, there are some photos in various posts in the forum. I did a quick search tonight and came up with the photo/diagram below that was in a post from McRabbet at http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/foru...=6906#post6906 This thread has a lot of discussion for wiring the switch box.

fetch

Sensors as installed on bin:

fetch?id=10084.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=10084.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.7 KB ID:	13371

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=23797&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=23797&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	13372

Various wiring installations:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=21874&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=21874&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.1 KB ID:	13373

Attachments

• Fullscreen%2520capture%2520752012%252084505%2520PM.jpg
    Fullscreen%2520capture%2520752012%252084505%2520PM.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Well this looks easy enough. I wired the system while sitting in the living room just to test it. what I saw in the instructions didn't make sense to me as far as the sensor location. Seems reading the level in the flexible connector is a bit high to see if it's full. I had thought they would have been located in the container itself but I guess it would be harder to seal with the exiting wire. But I guess this is the acceptable install and it must work OK. I just wanted to get some ideas on already installed systems. I'll install mine tomorrow and look at running the line voltage wire for the rely to stop the motor. For the time being I think I can do without the moor relay. I am curious as to how high the sawdust can get before it backs into the filters. Just to be sure I don't get the sensors too high I'd like some feedback please.

sreilly24590,

My install is a little different than most. The dust collection barrel sets inside a plywood box (I call a dust collection chamber) with a door. The bin level sensors are mounted to the top of dust collection chamber.

I initially thought I would forgo connecting the bin level sensor to the cyclone’s on/off switching system but changed my mind at the last minute. A few months later I was glad the bin level sensor was set to control the cyclone. While planing and neglecting the barrel, the bin level sensor tripped. As I recall it was not a complete shutdown of the cyclone, but rather an oscillation of power, probably because backed-up debris blocked and then cleared the area where the sensors are mounted. I suspect a few planer shavings may have made it to the filters but the bin level sensor system did its job and saved a big mess in the filters. Had I connected the bin level system just to the strobe light the overflow condition would have gone unnoticed. Even if a loud horn were added to the bin level sensor, the combined noise of the cyclone and a dust producing machine could probably render the noise alarm useless.

It is my guess that when the dust collection bin fills and the 6” cyclone outlet come in close proximity to debris in the full barrel, that debris along with incoming debris is more likely to be entrained in the low pressure zone leading to the filters. But even so, mounting the sensors as close to the dust collection barrel could offer a little more time to realize the dust collection barrel is full.
Dust Bin Sensor (800x450).jpgDust Collect Chamber Top - Upper Side (800x450).jpgDust Collection Chamber Top Upper Side (800x450).jpg

jsbrow,

That makes total sense. I probably shouldn't think too hard late at night......The turbulence of the cyclone will likely leave more than enough room in the barrel when the sensors read at the entry level. I'll install the sensor early this afternoon and run the wire for the rely as I already have the wire and it's added safety.

Thanks for the input.

-Steve

Steve,

I'll chime in here too since I was the manufacturer all of the Bin Sensors shown in the pictures posted by Rushton and JSBrow. Some of these show an older version of the Genie garage door sensors that were used several years ago (the rectangular ones), but they all operate the same. The sensors are aligned directly toward one another through the flexible duct atop the dust bin so their Red and Green LEDs burn steadily to show that they are aligned. The electronics in the control box have a built-in delay so that intermittent blockage will not trip the alarm -- they need 10-12 seconds of blockage to force an alarm condition. As the bin fills, dust tends to accumulate in a conical shape in the drum and very little dust will be re-entrained into the air flowing back into the blower inlet toward the top of the cyclone. The lower 12 - 18 inches of the cyclone is mostly dead air space where the dust falls by gravity and most of the higher velocity air moves into the inlet above the lower cone. As a result, the bin sensor will sound the alarm before very much dust every gets into the air flow headed to the filters. I recommend that you do follow the guidance to interconnect the bin sensor to the CV Electrical box H230B contactor so the shut down will be automated.

One important comment -- be sure that you plug the small Bin Sensor power supply into a wall outlet that is not on a circuit connected to any motor devices such as a lathe or drill press as it may cause the power supply to fail. Further, I recommend that you plug it into a switched outlet where it is not powered when you leave the shop -- setting one up on your shop lighting circuit is ideal, but you can also add an outlet with a switch that allows to to shut the 120 Volt power off.

Over 5 years, I had 375 bin sensor customer (2011-2016) and none of them ever reported that their filters filled with dust because the alarm did not trigger. Although I have retired from making them, I am happy to answer any questions for ClearVue customers that have a bin sensor.

Thanks to the replies I went ahead and wired and installed mine today. Figuring out how to mount the sensors was the hardest part but I simply mad a plywood stand to hold them while sitting on the 30 gal. galvanized can. Works like a charm. I think for now this install is complete. The last part will take place after building the planner and miter stations. Thanks for all the assist guys.

-Steve

Just to be clear, the Bin Sensor IS STILL BEING OFFERED and the website shows it as "In Stock".

This is made clear in the thread to which Steve points, but I thought it should be directly stated in this thread. Cheers!

I'm a bit late on replying but I did install the system switch and was using the joiner and planner a few days ago on a bunch of rough sawn boards. It didn't take long for the sensor to go off and turn the motor off with both audible and visual alarms as I had it set. I really love this feature and it saved the filter stack from filling up with sawdust. If you don't have this yet it is certainly worth the time and effort, which is minimal.

I have a McRabbet bin full sensor on my Clearvue cyclone that I bought 5+ years ago, and it seems like the external power supply has died. I unplugged it from the flashing sensor box and plugged it directly into an outlet, and the LED on the outside does not light. I noticed that my garage door sensor lights were also not lit, and the unit does not shut down when I block the sensors.

Is there a particular recommended 12v power supply replacement?

Thanks,
-John

Thanks, I've ordered a similar one off Amazon and will give it a try. Just called Clearvue tech support and got no answer so I went with your suggestion.

-John

Back