Pipe and Fittings Lawrenceville GA

BridgeIsland

Hey, I just bought my CV1800 RH Combo today, and now it is time to get the pipe and fittings. Anyone know of the best/cheapest resource near Lawrenceville GA, just east of Atlanta.

Atlanta Area

Atlanta Area

BridgeIsland,

When I was hunting pipes on the SC side of the Savannah river, near Hilton Head, Bluffton, and Beaufort, I checked several plumbing supply houses, including what was Apex Supply before HD bought the company and renamed it to HD Supply.

What I found entertaining is that between the time I first got quotes to when I was ready, cash in hand, to buy, not only had the prices changed, as I expected, but so did the cheapest supplier. The original lowest bidder became nearly the highest, and what had been the highest, HD Supply, was then the lowest.

The Bluffton office actually obtained their stock from the Savannah yard, so I did not get the pick of the litter, but what was quickest and easiest for their driver to load for the journey across the river. It was rather grungy.

The local Lowes were a bit more, but whether or not they have the stuff you need in stock is hit or miss. Some stores carry the 10 ft sticks of SDR-35, some do not. But most have the 6" fittings.

Atlanta is also the location of a McMaster Carr. Not entirely sure where it is, Peachtree Industrial Blvd seems to stick in my mind, but their site will list the address. If you have a pickup or trailer, you can get the pipe there over the counter. It is usually the shipping that eats you alive. But I would grab the Yellow Pages and start dialing for dollars first, at the listed supply houses.

The local Fergusons had 20 ft sticks, if you prefer, for a lower dollar per foot. But I would have difficulty getting that home as my pickup has only an 8 ft bed and I really didn't want 12 ft sticking out of it for the journey home. But if you have a way to transport it, might be worth your while to investigate that option as well.

No one around here seemed able to compete with Lowes prices on the fittings.

Regards,
DWD

Prices vary per fitting, shop around

Prices vary per fitting, shop around

DWD

Thanks for the info, I did find McMaster Carr as you mentioned here in Atlanta and was excited on the price of the wyes, Lowes has them for $21.67 and MCC has them for $15.40 wow what a savings. So I was all set to buy from MCC, but then I looked at the other fittings. A 45 at MCC is $11.29 while at Lowes it is only $6.97. I guess the bottom line is to shop around. I believe I will be buying from Lowes and hopefully they will do a price match on the Wyes.

Thanks again

Vendors and Prices

Vendors and Prices

I've found its sort of a cat and mouse game. If you've ever put anything into Amazon's "save for later" cart, then go back, the prices often change daily, and sometimes by large amounts. Similar things seem to also happen for these more mundane things.

I don't recall the wyes at our local Lowes being that much, but it was about a year and a half ago.

About all I can recommend is that you get a rough feel for what the lowest price is for each item, then when you're actually ready to buy, check with 2 or 3 vendors. If all are more or less in the ballpark, then convenience factor takes over. But if one is substantially cheaper, then maybe its worth the gas to go fetch them from that vendor. Alas, you'll have to do that for each item, though, as you've noticed one place can be cheap for one but way high for a similar item.

Happy Hunting!
DWD

BridgeIsland - In the same boat. Just ordered my 1800 on Friday and am searching for pipe and fittings. I was interested in your $6.97 45 fitting from Lowes. They are over $20 here in Warner Robins and $35 for a 6X6X6 WYE. They are sch 40 fittings but I didn't see anything else. Am I looking for the wrong thing??

Fittings

Fittings

EHoward,

Can't speak directly to Warner Robbins, but not all that far away, certainly not enough to justify the large price difference. Thus it must be that what you found was the heavier Sched. 40.

What you're looking for is the S&D, or sewer pipe, fittings. I just got three more 45s at the local Lowes in Beaufort, SC, for $6.97 each. Didn't check on the wyes, sorry. The "item number" on the receipt is "1824" if that helps. If you want, I can go read the UPC number off them and get it to you.

In the Lowes in Beaufort and (last I checked) the one in Bluffton, the S&D fittings are on a different aisle as they seem to keep the pressure stuff away from the S&D to avoid someone getting, then installing, the wrong thing.

I have noticed not all Lowes carry the same items, you may have ask them to order it (check the price!). The 45 els come in boxes of 3, at least for the supplier our local Lowes uses.

Regards
DWD

Prices and Locations may vary

Prices and Locations may vary

EHoward

At 2 different Lowes in Lawrenceville GA, the Sch40 fittings are at one end and the S&D (Sewage and Drainage) fittings are at the other end.

As for the wye I found it at Mcmaster as DWD suggested for only $15.40 while Lowes has it for $21.67. Here is the link to the wye, http://www.mcmaster.com/#9102k186/=69pkqd
they carry the other fittings as well. But the 45s are $11.29 at MCC and only $6.97 at Lowes, go figure.

I plan to buy all at lowes and get them to price match MCC.

BridgeIsland

I ordered from www.acehardwareoutlet.com

I ordered from www.acehardwareoutlet.com

Ace Hardware outlet is the cheapest online place that I have found. They are different from the normal Ace Hardware web site. They are slightly cheaper than Mcmaster

6x6x6 Ys are 14.49 (the best local price I could find was $25)
6x6 45s are 8.69
6x6x4 Ys are 12.79
6to4 reducers are 5.79

I ordered $380 worth of fittings and shipping came to $83, about 22% added cost. Shipping time is about 10 days.

Sometimes you have to search around the web site for the best price as they appear to have multiple suppliers at slightly different prices. Some items are located at home -> plumbing supplies and fixtures -> plastic pipe -> pvc sewer/drain pipe. Other items can be found at home -> plumbing supplies and fixtures -> plastic fittings -> styrene/pvc swr/drain ftg

You might want to stay away from styrene since it is lesser quality and no big price difference for 6" fittings. Styrene will not glue to PVC if you decide to glue, although the consensus is to use screws instead of glue.

Steve

Thanks guys.

I was definitely looking at the wrong aisle in Lowes. I contacted a plumber friend who can get me the parts for half of what I can get them at the store. Thanks for sharing.

EHoward:)

Back