Plastic bags in garbage can

bababrown

I'm new to the forum. I'm installing a CV-1800 and I would like to use plastic bags in the garbage can to handle the chips and dust. Will the bag tend to be pulled up into the cyclone and if so, how do I prevent it from happening?

Garbage Bags

Garbage Bags

Bababrown,

The short answer appears to be "yes".

MrUseless tried a wire mesh support to keep the bag in place. The suction collapsed the mesh, start here and continue on for a couple more photos.

Pentz has a suggestion for placing refrigerator clips in the waste bin. I've not heard whether or not those are successful. Suppose it depends on the strength of the clip.

Lastly, Parks and Parks (accessable from the Links menu item under the CV homepage's "General Info" tab) had a product to do what you want. At one time, thought I saw a post they were having some manufacturing problems. However, I just checked and their site is still active and shows the device. You may need to contact them to see if the item is still offered.

Regards,
DWD

Thanks for your input, dwdrury. It confirms my sense that any air leakage behind the bag (and there always will be some) will eventually lift the bag. I'd like to get a solution using the thin pull string bags since they are convenient and inexpensive. I doubt these bags would would withstand 15 or 20 inches water pressure even if they are held down. I'm considering a light steel frame which is almost as tall as the inside of the can and slightly smaller in diameter. I would pull the bag over the frame but then fold the top of the bag over and down inside the frame. The assembly would then be placed in the can. That would allow vacuum behind the bag to equalize the vacuum on both sides of the bag and keep it from lifting. It should catch most of the dust unless there is swirling inside the can(?). To dispose of the dust I would pull the bag out of the can and then pull the frame out of the bag. Do you think this is workable?

Framework

Framework

Bababrown,

Might not necessarily be leakage. There will be air between the can and bag, at atmospheric pressure whilst air in the bag is, oh, 15 inches of water less. Is that enough to push the bag up into the cyclone? Something tells me no, there's not enough mass in there, and that they'd equalize at something less. But I've been wrong before. So your idea of providing a way to equalize the pressures may work.

One way to find out: try it. And let us know via gallery photos or here in the forum. Seems to be a somewhat regular desire and aside from Parks and Parks, can't say I've heard of any solutions that folks figure is satisfactory. But all it takes is one inventor to built that proverbial better mousetrap. Or spark another idea, and so on.

Of course the downside to any in the bag framework or basket like MrUseless tried is you have to fish it out when you go to dump the bag, and that can be messy as well. Let alone stir up the dust one's been trying to avoid. That's probably why Pentz liked the clips. But if you manage to rip the bag getting it loose from the clips, then you're back to the mess you're trying to avoid.

Something I vaguely remember someone saying one time was that they keep a small stack of larger scrap around, and when they put in a new bag, put a chunk or two in the bottom. Again, its only a vague memory and I don't really remember how satisfied they were with that idea. But it would save having to dig out the frame, as the scrap can go out with the rest of the dust and chips.

It seems I've once again reached the limits of my competence with yet another subject. Others may have some brighter ideas but I'm fresh out.

Regards,
DWD

Framework

Framework

dwdrury,
Thanks again. Note that as the bag pulls away from the can the volume increases a little and the pressure lowers to the same as on the inside. It won't go further unless there is a leak. I will try the idea ASAP and post the results.

One other idea I have heard about to keep the bag in place is to get one of the plastic sheet things that holds a leaf bag upright so one person can fill it with leaves. I finally found 2 of these. LOML says it works for the leaf gathering. I haven't tried mine in the chip barrel yet. It is basically a 3 X 5 sheet of plastic you coil up and let uncoil in the bag. The bag regulates the size, as would the chip barrel. When full, you simply pull it out of the bag, or in our case, pull the bag out of the barrel, then the coil out of the bag. The problem I forsee for me is that I'm using a 55 gallon plastic barrel and the sides aren't straight up and down. I'm guessing I'll have some problem getting the bag out of the barrel. If anyone else wants to try this, I got mine at Lowes. They were about 10.00 each IIRC. I would think it would work fine for those using a metal trash can as the can is widest at the top, allowing the bag and dust to pull out easily. Jim.

OK, I went and looked at the Parks and Parks site. Slick!! But so is that price. OUCH!! In all actuality, that is the same idea as I posted above, except the sleeve in my option uncoils to the bag, and doesn't have the hookup to the cyclone cone at the top. You pull the sleeve out of the plastic bag and tie the bag off. If you put a furniture dolly under your can, it would do the same thing! Jim.

Leaf Collecting

Leaf Collecting

Jim,

Got that right on the price. Question, though: How'd you get your LOML to do the leaf collecting? Mine, who is more like Rumpole's She Who Must Be Obeyed, or SWMBO, seems to think that's my job.

Regards,
DWD

I hate yard work.:rolleyes: LOML has a lot more time available to do some of these things. Heck, if the walk behind mower hadn't died last year, she'd still do the mowing! :D Said it was good exercise. She hates the old riding mower I use.
I do help with the leaves and such on the weekends when asked. Bad thing is, it usually interrupts an operation I've got going in the shop. :) Jim.

Yard Work

Yard Work

Not wild about yard work myself, but appears I'm stuck with it. I tried the "great exercise" argument on SWMBO, but to no avail. Occasionally she'll go out and pull weeds, then complain about poison ivy for a month. Ah, well. Not the outdoors type, I suppose.

Regards,
DWD

method

method

An easy way to have a garbage bag in your container is to equalize the pressure. Put a quick disconnect fitting on the lid and near the bottom of the can. Run an air hose between the two and that should do it. You can remove the hose from the lid easily when it's time to cleanout the dust.

method

method

I think it will work. Try it and let us know the results. I'm having troubles keeping the lid sealed --- the gaskets are getting sucked in enough to leak. The separation is terrible and the particle counts go up when it happens.
bababrown

My Try

My Try

I've just recently gotten my Clear Vue up and running. However one of the delays was trying to think through the dust collection problem that you all have been discussing on this thread. I also did not want to pay a huge price for the identified commercial product. To attack the problem I built a frame to go inside the tie-able garbage bag. The frame consists of two three-inch high plastic rings. One at the diameter of the bottom of the tub (less a fraction of an inch) and the other slightly smaller than the top diameter. I then coupled the two rings together with five 3/4" wide strips of 1/2" maple. This frame slides into the bag and the top of the bag is folded over the top of the frame. The combination then slides nicely down into the tub. I have a plastic top for the tub that is re-enforced around the edge with a 3/4" plywood rim.

When I first turned on the blower I was concerned that the bag might get sucked up, but everything worked fine. I've now been running my Clear Vue for a couple weeks this way. After reading this thread, I went out and went through the dumping process. This is: decouple the tub from the Clear Vue, lift the top (there are no clamps as the coupling applies the hold-down pressure), pull the frame, tie the bag closed and remove from the tub.

Everything worked as anticipated. I did get some dust flaring up with the closing of the bag, but nothing like what I would have with dumping the tub of dust into a bag. As one might anticipate there was also some dust on the outside of the bag.

In this first try (because I wanted to see how the system worked) I did not have a full bag of dust. It was just over 1/2 full. The frame came out easily and I do not anticipate any difference when the bag is full.

Today I added a set of photos in the gallery. Included are some shots of the frame I've described here. Hope this helps.

plastic bags in garbage can

plastic bags in garbage can

Rex,
The frame is quite similar to what I did for my CV-1800. I used 1/4 inch rod. It's under Richard L Brown in the CV-1800 installs. The frame pulls out easily and the bag catches most of the dust. I use the 33-gallon draw string bags which fold over the frame without too much extra material. For a while I used heavier Home Depot bags which were too long and the excess tended to get pulled up into the cyclone (I had a leak). The lighter bags work great. I use heavy paper clamps to hold the bag to the frame. I reviewed your photos --- hope to see more of them as you progress.
bababrown

Bag in the tub

Bag in the tub

Baba,

Thanks for the quick reply. Today as I was perusing the Forum I did see your design and wondered how it worked out. Glad to hear that it did and that you are using it. I use the same size bags. Not too heavy to lift when near full!

Appreciate the feedback!

Back