Plastic non-round dust bin?

buktotruth

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and about to buy a CV 1800. I have a closet where I plan to install the DC that has low ceilings, so I'll be setting up a side-by-side filter and need to save every inch of height I can. One suggestion from CV was to use a short bin, but all the round ones I found were pretty low capacity. As an alternative, I found this weather-tight rectangular bin from the Container Store that has pretty sturdy sides and holds ~26 gallons. It's also on wheels, making it super easy to take out to unload. Assuming I can manage to get a hole cut and sealed for the intake, is there any reason this bin wouldn't work? The upshot is that it's only 18.75" tall.

Any help is greatly appreciate!
Jeff

Jeff,
I would make sure of two things. First, that the sides are strong enough that the vacuum doesn't bow the sides in. You will get a pressure that is equivalent to about one foot of water depth. Secondly, that you can get a good seal around the lid. To get good separation you need a very good seal. As to the connection to the cyclone you can get a 6" starter collar with a flange at an HVAC store. Good luck,
bababrown

buktotruth,

During my install, I considered a rectangular dust bin. However, when communicating with Clear Vue technical support I recall being advised against any shape other than round. The concern seemed to be turbulence. Before locking in the design for the dust collection bin, contacting Clear Vue could either confirm or refute my understanding.

I too had a height restriction. My build sets in a garage with a ceiling height of 101”. Subtracting 3” for motor ventilation, I targeted a height of 98”. I also wanted to maximize the amount of debris that could be contained in the dust collection bin. I bought a 47 gallon fiber drum with a 22” diameter from Grainger to set inside a dust collection chamber.

The dust collection chamber sets directly under the cyclone funnel, where the funnel outlet is centered in the top of the dust collection chamber. The sides, back, and bottom were sealed with silicone. Felt weather stripping on the dust collection chamber door, together with three window sash locks keeps the dust collection chamber air tight. The dust collection barrel slides out of the dust collection chamber for emptying.

Unfortunately when I finished the build, I found the fiber drum too tall to fit in the dust collection chamber. My solution was to strike a line around the circumference of the drum and cut the upper section off with a jig saw so that when the drum sets in the dust collection chamber a ¾” gap exists between the top of the dust collection barrel and the top of the dust collection chamber. I then applied 1” wide aluminum flat stock at the rim of the fiber drum, inside and outside, held in place with screws and locking cap nuts. The screws are spaced about every 6” around the rim. A bicycle inner tube sandwiched between the barrel and the aluminum flat stock acts as a gasket sealing the fiber drum to the top of the dust collection chamber.

I attached a photo in case you are interested in this approach to customize the dust collection barrel.

Attachments

• Dust Bin and Dust Collection Chamber 800 x 650 (7).jpg
    Dust Bin and Dust Collection Chamber 800 x 650 (7).jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
Buktotruth,

I would avoid the plastic container that you referenced since I doubt that it would stand up to the static pressure created by the CV1800. Instead, I would build an appropriate height bin made from 3/4" plywood and put it on low casters for easy removal. I would design in a hinged top to access the debris with good seals on it, setting the hinge to the front of the cyclone entry collar so you could leave it in place if desired. Or you could use a variation of jsbrow's method by making a "bin in a box" and have the entire inner box roll out a front door of the outer box.

Hope this helps.

Jeff,
Take a look at Penn State Industries 35 gallon fiber drum. It's only 22" tall so you might get it to fit.
bababrown

That's what I use (the Penn State 35 gallon round bin). I thought I'd be annoyed about having to empty it more often than my previous steel garbage can, but it hasn't really been a big deal. I moved last year from a location where I had almost unlimited height, to a basement with 8' of height clearance, and found I could not use a standard steel garbage can anymore.

The Penn State bin has a plastic lid which was somewhat concerning, but so far it seems stiff enough to support the "starter collar" I used to attach the piece of flex hose to the top. And the locking ring around the rim seems to seal fairly well. I used an incense stick to produce smoke in order to test for any leakage with the cyclone running and found none at the bin.

Attachments

• fiber bin_1.JPG
    fiber bin_1.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • fiber bin_2.JPG
    fiber bin_2.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back