Problem with dust bin

fsotcher

I am having a problem with the dust bin. I have a light sensor mounted at the bottom of the input duct feeding into the 55 gal dust collection bin. The sensor has a five second delay after which the blower shuts off. A 55 gal plastic trash bag in installed in the drum.

When I run a machine the dust seems to collect around the base of the cyclone blocking the sensor and causing the blower to shut down. Even if I shut off all machines and run only the blower the dust continues to rotate around the base of the cyclone.

A second problem is that the dust bin fills up very fast. When I open it I find that the saw dust in very fluffy. I can just press it down and it fills less that one half the can.

I am unable to use the system as it is because the blower keeps cycling off and on. What am I missing?

I am unsure how to correct the problem and would welcome any ideas.

Do you have an air leak in the bin? How do you have the bag installed in the bin? There have been some posts about having an air leak with the bag installed over the bin and under the lid. An air leak could create a lot of dust circulation at the sensor and then continue to blow out through your exhaust and could be the source of the fluffy dust; mixed with a lot of air.

I haven't got my new cyclone up and running yet but I have a pretty good idea on how they work. What Dan says makes perfect sense. Although you said "A second problem is that the dust bin fills up very fast. When I open it I find that the saw dust in very fluffy. I can just press it down and it fills less that one half the can."

Sawdust isn't fluffy...unless your planing pine or cedar or wood where you get long stringy shavings. Is there air between the bag and your 55 gal drum? If so there would be an air leak.

I would try it with out a bag and see what happens.

I agree that it sounds like you have an air leak that is causing your issues -- as to the "light, fluffy" sawdust, you need to post what you are milling (Jointer?, Planer?, Shaper?, Tablesaw?, bandsaw?, other?) so we have an idea of your sources. Give us a little more detail on your light sensor and how it is mounted to the inlet duct. Pictures would help.

Thank you

Thank you

Thanks for your responses.

I was planning poplar. I placed the bag over the rim of the can. The bag I was using is a heavy duty 55 Gal trash bag. I have gone back and read the earlier track when a similar problem was discussed. I sounds like I might have created some leakage by placing the bag over the edge of the can. I also found the bottom hose fitting was not a tight as it could be so that might have added to the problem. I tighten the hose fitting and took out the bag, to see if that solves the problem.

I read that some were trying connecting a hose from the top of the can to a spot at the bottom of the can, using the vacuum at the top to pull the bag tight inside the can. Does this work? If you can't fold the bag over the top of the can how do you secure it?

Thanks again for your helpful ideas.
Fred

I use a ‘Lawson Easy Bagger’ from Ace Hardware. It’s a vinyl sheet that unrolls inside the bag and then I attach the bag to it with some binder clips but I don’t think it would be tall enough for a 55 gal. bag. I think the method with the plywood disc and dowels defined by the CribbageGuy in the post http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Bullentin/showthread.php?t=1226 would work well. Depending on your setup and space restrictions, you could fasten the bag to the top of the disc and extend a 6in. pipe through a hole in the disc. The chips and dust would be confined to the bag and make clean up real easy.

Back