Problems with frequent on/off

doughpat

Hi all-

I'm using the CVMax in a classroom environment, where the jobs are generally very brief and the noise is quite obtrusive. I'd like to get a gauge on how much 'damage' I'm doing to the motor/system when I start/stop the unit. I'd read something about how gobbles quite a bit of power during startup, but I'm not very concerned about that -- it's got it's own 30A circuit and, frankly, it's electrical consumption is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the school.

If you are thinking of cycling the cvmax for every machine operation I would not recommend it. I doubt there is any sure way to know how often cycling can be done without harm. There is evidence that cycling on every operation causes the starting capacitor to fail. That probably is worse with the cvmax because the impeller is larger and harder to start. People on this forum have recommended no more often than one start every 15 minutes. I think that makes some sense because that should give the capacitor time to cool. I doubt this approach helps you in a classroom. Again I think your best approach would be to install a closet.
bababrown

Good to know -- we do try to "batch" our cut jobs, but sometimes that's just not a reality.

Fortunately capacitors are usually fairly cheap....not sure about this one. Also, I'm guessing it is relatively easy to replace, since the motor is pretty much exposed and easily accessible. I'll look into it, and probably go ahead and order one so that it's "on-hand". I'll also try and do some measurements (IR thermometer?) and see what I can find out.

I cycle my D/C on/off with the machinery. Sometimes very frequently. Always done it that way, and have yet to wear out a motor. But the CV1800 motor is under more stress that those in the previous systems I built, so it might suffer someday. I'm willing to chance it, for the noise and energy savings. Three years now and counting. I will post an update should it ever fail.

Back