remote options for 3-phase

Ryan Brucks

Hey guys,

I have been looking at Clear Vue's for a long time and I have just about made up my mind on the CV1800 or MAX.

I had a question about 3-phase wiring. I know that the pre-wired box with the remote only works for single phase. I would be using the 3-phase motor, powered from a TECO 10hp vfd unit (it takes single phase input to 3 phase output at half the rated hp).

The 3 phase units come with a relay just like the single phase versions, right? So I am curious if there are any remote control products that could be made to work with the 3 phase motor. I will be asking an electrician to wire it up, but would like to have all the stuff first to simplify the install.

Anybody here wired to a VFD?

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Ryan.

I am not an electrician, but Fasco makes 3-pole contactors with 120 Volt coils that could be used for your 3-phase application, I believe. Check out this spec sheet from Fasco and look at their model H340B, which should handle the 240 or 480 at the amperages you need. They can be purchased from CSH Incorporated for less than $25 plus shipping. The coil can be activated by a simple 120 V single phase remote control switch like the Lamson HW1190 shown here from Amazon (it is the unit that ClearVue Cyclone uses with their Electric Box). It is a simple procedure to wire the outlet side of the Lamson to the coil on the Fasco contactor and use a small hand-held transmitter to control a 5-HP 3-phase motor.

For the record, I'm not an electrician and I have not used this with a VFD, but I would think it will work just fine. Hope this helps.

Wow, very helpful, thanks a ton! Clears up most of the questions I had about how these would be used.

I have heard of you before and seen lots of your posts on various forums. You are the guy who makes the dust bin full sensor, right? If so, do you have a website to order from, or a place to see all of the information about your product? I saw a wiring diagram on another forum but cannot seem to find it.

Is the bin sensor something that's relatively easy to add after the fact, or is it easier to do it in the beginning?

Ryan,

Glad I could help. And yes, I am that "bin sensor" guy! The unit I sell has gone through several improvements to the current model that features a combined Strobe and Horn alarm in a low-voltage package. Keep your eyes posted on the New Products page on the ClearVue Cyclones webpage (www.clearvuecyclones.com) as it is about to be sold there as well. It can be installed at initial installation or as a retrofit to an existing system. If you'd like additional information, send me your email address and I can send you some photos and a full description of the system.

Back