Removing the tapered bushing

VermontDale

We are switching from a single phase motor to a three phase motor on our CV 1800. We need to remove the tapered bushing which holds the impeller on the motor shaft.

We removed the three bolts which hold the tapered bushing in place as well as the set screw which holds the key in place. Then we tried using a puller. We can not get it to budge.

Suggestions?

Dale

Dale,
Usually these are made so you put one of the screws in the threaded hole and use a wrench to separate the insert from the body.
bababrown

Removing tapered bushing

Removing tapered bushing

Hi bababrown,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The bushing has three threaded holes which can be used to help remove the bushing. You can screw the three bolts which hold the bushing together into these holes to help push the bushing out. This wasn't enough so we also used a small puller which still didn't do the job. We tried hammering the end of the puller with no success.

We will try using a larger puller tomorrow. If that doesn't work we may have to resort to more aggressive approaches. One possibility is to drive flat screwdrivers, or cold chisels, into the space between the bushing the impeller.

Any more ideas? Would heat help with this type of bushing? The tapered bushing is wedged between the shaft on the inside and the impeller on the outside.
Dale

Last edited:
Dale,
I'm surprised the screws didn't pull the insert; it must be rusted. I can't remember if they are 1/4 " hex head cap screws but you can come down pretty hard on them. Go at them sequentially. Heat on the impeller side should help since it expands the outside part of the taper. I went thru this last year pulling the tie rod ends off my old Agripower; heat from a MAPP torch on the knuckle did the trick.
bababrown

It came off

It came off

Hi bababrown,

We finally got the tapered bushing off. We had to drive a chisel into the space under the bushing in addition to turning the three screws and using the puller. We didn't have a torch available.

Thanks,

Dale

Back