Saddles vs Wyes

Flintshooter

Is there a disadvantage, huge, small or otherwise to using a saddle for a branch over a wye fitting?
My project got stalled big time and I have barely even been out to the shop in the last eight months. Given that amount of time to think about the ducting setup, it just seems like it would be easier, faster, and a little cheaper to run the main eight inch spiral duct across the ceiling in one run, work backwards from the machine to the main branch, and tie in with a saddle.

There is a significant restriction to air flow if you decide to use saddle connections due to added turbulence at each junction point (they are equivalent to a tee joint). A wye connector in the duct main with the 45* facing the tool will have better air flow than the 90* inlet of a saddle. If ductwork is run overhead, a 45* elbow can be added after a short straight pipe connection to the wye to create a vertical drop to the blast gate close to the tool port and then connection with a short length of flexible hose to the tool port. I use schedule D2029 thin-wall sewer and drain PVC pipe for my ducting and they are very smooth with excellent air flow.

There is a significant restriction to air flow if you decide to use saddle connections due to added turbulence at each junction point (they are equivalent to a tee joint). A wye connector in the duct main with the 45* facing the tool will have better air flow than the 90* inlet of a saddle. If ductwork is run overhead, a 45* elbow can be added after a short straight pipe connection to the wye to create a vertical drop to the blast gate close to the tool port and then connection with a short length of flexible hose to the tool port. I use schedule D2029 thin-wall sewer and drain PVC pipe for my ducting and they are very smooth with excellent air flow.
The saddles I’m talking about are 45 degree, not 90 degree

I would still stick with the wyes since the internal intersection is very smooth without any extra work during assembly.

Back