Sale question: Remote removed & general remote ??'s

K9-mal

I seem to remember that the CV1800 combo included a remote. I see that the remote is no longer part of the package. Was this removed for the sale?

Also, for current owners of a remote, how useful do you find it? It seems like it would be something that you'd have to carry around with you and that seems like it'd take a fair amount of abuse. What solutions have folks come up with to allow turning the CV on/off at each machine? Has anyone been able to have each machine's on/off switch control the CV?

Remotes

Remotes

Hi,

Yes we used to sell remotes with the systems. We started running into trouble with them and decided it would be better for everyone if they were purchased locally and returned locally if there is a problem. We still have some in stock for replacements. I know that ace hardware sells them and the big box stores should have them also.

I use the remotes daily and find them very useful and would not do without them. Originally I had wired 4 wall switches throughout the shop but as the shop changed they were in the wrong place.

Matt

I've used a remote control for many years with my dust collection systems and find it much more convenient than flipping a switch and loads cheaper than building a sensing system to detect power tool turn on and then have that system control the DC motor. You have full control with a remote switch (I clip mine to my shop bib strap) and can leave the DC running between cuts (you do not want to cycle your Cyclone motor on and off as it may overheat spinning that heavy impeller up multiple times in a short period of time). I keep a spare remote control transmitter on the top of my tablesaw fence so I know where to find it.

I do have the inexpensive Ace Hardware remote that was included with earlier CV purchases, but for my money, the Shop Fox remote is a more reliable unit and it comes with two transmitters for under $40.

You can also find it at Klingspor's Woodworking Shops. If you use one, you need the 120V version. Mount the H230B Contactor (relay) in an appropriate electric enclosure and run the 230V L1 and L2 power leads to each side of the relay and out to the Leeson motor, bypassing the ground wire. I ran an outdoor extension cord without the plug end through a bushing and connected it to the coil leads on the relay. The male end of the extension cord plugs into the remote control outlet.

Now if you want to get more sophisticated and have a sensor system that will signal you and shut down your cyclone when the bin fills, then check out this thread of mine, especially the last post which updates the circuit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Rob. That's a very good point about being able to turn your machine off but leave the CV on. A whole lot easier on a motor to keep running than to cycle it.

The only other way to do it would be to wire 4-way switches at each machine. Even if you could make neat installations, you'd be spending over $100 on the switches alone. Thanks for the remote leads.

I've seen your sensor thread and am quite interested. My main question on that is why a light bulb and not an LED? But no sense in getting into that here! You already have a thread on it.

*walks over to the proper thread*

Back