Sanitary Tee for vertical drops?

mikeyl

I have a small garage shop for now, and I'll have a total of 6 hook ups, using 3 of the 6" to double 4" plenums from clearvue. I had a hell of a time finding fittings for the schedule 20 pvc, but now that I have pretty much everything I need, I read that Tees are a no go. The 3 Sanitary Tees are what I purchased for the tool drops because I couldn't find a good alternative. Should I really spring for Wyes and a 45, or will the difference be negligible? I'm really just trying to get my garage shop up and running until I can move into a bigger space.

Mikeyl,

A sanitary tee will have less static pressure increase than a straight tee which is the worst fitting to use. A Wye and a 45 elbow will provide a smoother transition from a duct run to a drop and is preferred. I'm not sure where you are located, but Lowe's in my area carries a full range of 6" and 4" D-2729 and SDR35 compatible fittings for drain and waste pipe. If you are in an area that has a Menard's, check them as well. Most Plumbing supply houses can get them or you can order online from McMaster-Carr.

McRabbet, I’m in Tacoma, WA. The local Home Depot and Lowe’s don’t carry any 6” fittings. I was able to find quite a selection online, but it turns out that schedule 4 fittings are too big for the schedule 20 piping. I went to Ewing’s irrigation supply, and they were able to get them from their Seattle location, but 3 sanitary Tee’s, a wye, and a 45 cost just under $400.

Those prices are ridiculous! A 6" wye at my local Lowe's is under $25. You need to do more searching and I would ask ClearVue Customer Support since they used to make their units in Kent, WA and they may know of suppliers in the Seattle-Tacoma area. Even McMaster-Carr has fittings for less than you are quoting -- see https://www.mcmaster.com/underground-sewer-and-drain-pvc-thin-wall-pipe-fittings, but you will need to pay shipping. A 6"wye is $28 on their page.

Wow! I wonder if my mistake was searching for 6” schedule 20, rather than searching by the dimension 6.27? I measured about 6.25”, but those would fit for sure. The schedule 40 stuff I ordered was between 6 5/8” and 6 3/4”. Those prices are what I expected; about $30 bucks max. I have to have been doing something wrong.

I don't know where you got the term "schedule 20" -- the correct name of the PVC pipe you want is Sewer & Drain pipe and the best choice has an ASTM designation D-2729. Most supplier don't know that ASTM number and refer to it as S&D or thin-wall PVC pipe. It is white, with bell ends in the pipe (couplings) and is available in 3", 4" and 6" nominal sizes. Actual dimensions are found here https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-sewer-drain-dimensions-d_1290.html. Another commonly used sewer and drain pipe is ASTM D-3034 and it comes in more sizes. The type most commonly used is SDR-35 which has the same outside diameter as D-2729, but has thicker wall. It also comes with bell ends, but is also found with gasketed bell ends. It is Lime Green in color. It is more commonly available, but is heavier per foot and costs more than the White D-2729 pipe. Because both share the same outside diameter, the fitting are the same and commonly will carry both ASTM designations.

Schedule 40 pipe is a pressure pipe used to carry liquids like water -- more expensive and heavier yet. Hope this helps.

I've seen the thin wall referred to as Schedule 20 in the past, but calling it thinwall is probably a lot more universal. The best way to identify it is by the printing on the side with the D-2729 designation. As for the fittings, McRabbet suggested everything I'm aware of. But I do want to suggest a real shot-in-the-dark. I wondered into our local Habitat restore and stumbled onto some 6" thin wall and they even had a handful of fittings. So of you have one nearby, it wouldn't hurt to take a look.

Back