Satisfied with CVMax and 6" 2729 pipe?

604Erickson

For those who have installed 6" 2729 pipe (probably with sdr 35 8" pipe as well) together with a CVMax, are you satisfied with the result? We can buy 6" 2729 pipe and fittings locally are are deciding whether to choose this or 6" sdr 35 pipe instead. Most of the posts on this are about getting ready to install rather than results after installation. We plan to always have at least one gate open.

ASTM D-2729 PVC Sewer and Drain (S&D) pipe has a nominal crushing strength of 3,000 PSI and is a true 6" inside diameter (outside diameter is 6.275" and minimum wall thickness is 0.093"). What we all know as SDR35 is part of the D-3034 standard and also has an outside diameter of 6.275". But it also has a wall thickness of 0.180", which means the inside diameter is reduced below 6". Both will work with the same fittings, but the light green SDR-35 pipe is more expensive per foot, weighs more and technically has a smaller inside cross section. I use the D-2729 pipe and have never had a failure.

Looking at 6" pipe now and getting confused. SDR 35 is green and smooth on the inside. I would prefer white pipe so the ASTM 2729 I'm looking at is not as smooth as it a slight ripples on the inside. Am I looking at the correct product that others are using in for their dust collection applications?

Hey Dusty,

You don't want ripples inside your pipe. ASTM 2729 exists without ripples and is very hard to find. I live in the North East (Vermont) and am searching forASTM 2729. It is possible a supply house has it but nobody knows it by that name. I have told them I am looking for thin wall white sewer and drain pipe.

Here IS how my search has gone.

I went to Home Depot and then to their pro desk to see if i could special order it. They said they never heard of it and searched their suppliers and said they can't help. So I asked who would they recommend in this region and they pointed me to a plumbing supply house about 40 min away. I called them and they kept pointing me to the green stuff - SDR35. Their website showed that they only carry the green stuff. So I asked them who else might carry it? They pointed me to a small plumbing supply shop in the nearest big city (about 20 min away).

I called this company and they knew what I was talking about. They said they haven't carried it for years because SDR35 has replaced ASTM 2729 and SDR35 is cheaper. I thanked them and asked who might still carry it. They referred me to their competitor on the other side of town (another plumbing supply house Hulbert Supply Inc).

So I called them and the guy said no they don't have it but he checked their suppliers and found some in their warehouse in the next state over. They are willing to have it shipped to this store for me.

In parallel to all the above, i was talking to a neighbor who knows a plumber and they asked the plumber. He said Frank Web Plumbing carries it. I am about to confirm that the second source has it plus check to see if they will sell to the public.

All the above just gives you the strategy I am using to find a source.

Good luck in your searches.

Last edited:
Back