Shop vac hose

Absinthe

I have a CV1800 with 6" plumbing. For the present I only have it hooked up to my table saw, and it doesn't really catch all the dust or chips from that since I don't have a collection port right over the blade. That said, I have several tools that I simply run a shop vac hose to that is connected to a small shop vac and a little dust deputy cyclone. These are things like Bandsaw, Drill press, ROS, CS and soon to be (tracked) circular saw. This raises the question :

Can I integrate the shop vac hose as a channel with a blast gate, either to augment the table saw gate, or to use connected in place of the shop vac on the small tools, or even to clean the floor like a central vac system? We are talking about the 2-1/2" hose as I would assume the 1-1/4 would definitely be out of the question.

My concern is that this would tax the system having a single 2-1/2" port open. Or is there some way to manage the pressure so that perhaps I have something else open 1/2 way or something like that...

Also, grasping at straws here, to add top of saw collection augmentation can I simply tie into the same 6" run that is collecting from the bottom just perhaps a little higher on the run but still on the same side of the blast gate?

Bill Pentz recommends the Shark Guard for the top of the table saw and it gets good reviews from users. It is possible to use the shark guard with a 2.5" diameter hose y'ed off the 6" hose at the bottom of the saw but dust collection will not be optimum. One would probably use a 6X6X4 Y and then reduce the 4" to 2.5". A dust collector develops roughly 1/10 the pressure of a shop vac while producing about 10 times the volume flow. So the dust collector does not perform well through a 2.5" hose. I think you would be disappointed if you try collection through the small hose for general use. A better solution is to use a shark guard with a 4" port y'ed off the 6" bottom port. For small portable tools I would use a shop vac with 2.5" hose (or even smaller if you have a strong vac). For stationary tools I would spend the time and money to add 6" ducting from the cv1800.
bababrown

That looks cool, but I doubt it would ever be able to connect to my saw (Rigid Ts2424) as it doesn't use a separate riving knife, but actually a splitter that is built into the protective guard that attaches at the back of the saw.

As it is, with the 6" going to the bottom box of the saw, I am getting lots of dust and chips on the table after a cut. So I know I need something closer to the blade. If I am going to do something, are you saying that I would be better off just splitting out a 4" from the run already going into the saw? And you are saying 4" as opposed to 2-1/2? Or are you suggesting that I need to not only have the CV1800 6" to the bottom of the saw, but also a shop vac to the top of the saw?

I currently have 6" ducting from the CV800. I also have a whole stack more of it outside against my shop wall just waiting to get plumbed in. I just don't have it to all my tools yet. I haven't figured how to go to the CMS, and my band saw, planer and jointer have 4" and 2-1/2" ports. Hence the first part of the question, if I split a 6" to 2 4" and attach one to the jointer and one to the planer do I always have both 4" splits open when I use either of them?

You need a guard that stops the dust from getting thrown forward by the table saw blade because the dust is thrown so fast it cannot be collected. Then you need enough airflow to collect the dust. One way to go is to use a separate shop vac on the upper guard and a 2.5" hose will suffice with a good strong vac. Another way is to use a guard with a 4" port and tap it off the 6" line at the bottom of the saw. A 5" line on the bottom port with a 4" line on the upper guard would be better but it is more to difficult to find the parts. I think you can get away with a 6/4 split. As to the last question with two 4" ports on your other tools you can try both ways. I have a fixed open split on my two disk sanders and I never have a problem. On my lathe I can run either way and I have never had a problem with clogging. You might possibly have a problem with a planer with only one gate open because it can produce a lot of shavings. But you can experiment with that to see which way works best.
bababrown

Back