Small power tool dust extraction

billyvan

I am curious what the consensus is as to what it the best way to extract dust from small power tools such as palm sanders, biscuit joiners, belt sanders , etc, basically any small tool that comes with one inch dust chutes on them. If you have a CV1800 managing all your machines can you just come off of this with say a 3" blast gate and size down to a 1" flexible hose for small power tools? Or is it better to also have a shop vac preferably with a mini cyclone as well for this. One advantage is you can have it automatically turn on and off with the tool. I'm wondering which is the most popular way to go. Obviously using the CV1800 for both is the most economical but does a 5 hp cyclone work well when you squeeze it down to only one small 1" port open? I looked through the gallery and didn't notice any pictures of anyone using a CV1800 for small tools.

You can chock down a material handling impeller but I don't think you will get enough air flow through the duct to keep from building up dust piles unless you open another gate on the same duct. I use my shop vac and have been planning to get a switch for the auto on/off that you pointed out.

Thanks Dan, I was wondering what kind of issues it may cause. I'm in need of a new shop vac anyway but if I am going to use if for small tools I might bite the bullet and spend some money on a good one rather than just a regular use shop vac. The Festool CT22 or CT33 looks like a good way to go if you are going to use it on small tools. Has the power on/off and other advantages already built in. Very pricey tho!

Back