Sound reduction cabinet

ChrisP

I have just built a new cabinet so I thought I might describe how it turned out.

I have just come into the workshop after finally finishing my version of sound reduction, basically it is a one metre square cabinet enclosing the cyclone with the motor exposed through the roof of the cabinet for cooling purposes. I built it using cavity walls, roof and doors using two sheets of 19mm MDF and filling the cavity with flattened cardboard boxes as they are free, I am a tight #### and it seemed like a good idea at the time and as I have a continual supply there was no shortage of material to worry about.

I have just measured the difference in the workshop and the sound level has dropped from 92db to 72db which seems to have made the effort worthwhile. My saw when it is on is in the mid 80's so that gives you a comparison to judge it by. I still have not silenced the exhaust so after that is done I anticipate a further drop, the exhaust is about 85db straight out of the wall with no filters.

Considering that the motor sticks out through the roof of the enclosure if it were to be totally sealed there would be a further drop in noise but I am happy where the level is and without building a ventilated engine enclosure it can't be reduced. After Xmas when I have more time I will have a look at the motor enclosure, I will cover it in with a double lot of MDF and tap a small line from it to the inlet of the cyclone to drag air across the motor, the cover will sit up a bit so the air enters from the bottom. I might just bodge up something first to see if it is worth the trouble and if it is not I won't waste my time.

All in all I am quite please so far and after I kill the exhaust noise it should be really good. All in all a fairly cheap way to attack the problem.

Back