Suggested dimensions for a DC closet?

Girino

I have an 1800, and a garage with 12 foot ceilings. I'd like to add a closet in one corner for the cyclone for noise reduction, but of course I'd like the closet to take up the minimum floor space. Since I have 12 foot ceilings, it would also be nice if I could use the space above the cyclone for storage. So I'm thinking an 8-9 foot closet height would work.

So, what might be the minimal footprint I could use for the closet, and how tall should it be for inside dimension?

First decide what chip barrel size you want to use, then that will dictate the height. I'm using a 55 gallon plastic drum. I'm right at 10' to the top of the motor. You need a few inches above that for cooling, and if in a closet, some way for the heat to escape. Since my shop has 7'8" ceiling height and shallow pitched roof, my motor is almost against the underside of the roof sheathing. It's actually in the roof rafter space. I have ridge vents (not above the motor!), so heat has a way out. You can save some height if you use a smaller chip barrel. Jim.

Thanks, Jim, that's helpful. What about the footprint? I'm imagining that it doesn't have to be much larger than the cyclone plus filters, but I also want to have enough room to get in there to clean out the bin and the filters when needed.

Girino,
I think you have it about right. The mounting bracket will take a little room on one side and you will want a little space from the filters to the wall. I took Ed's drawing and overlaid it on scaled paper. You may need a little extra room to clear the input line depending on how you lay it out (no problem if you just rise at the slope). Also, my install has a threshold at the doorway so I need enough depth to pull the can forward and out from under the cyclone so I can lift it up over the threshold. You also might want to build a "chimney" as Ed suggests to pull the hot air down to the air return vent. I would not skimp on height as an extra inch makes it much easier to empty the bin.
bababrown

I built mine 48" wide (outside edge to outside edge), and about 3' deep, maybe plus a couple inches. I plan on 2 doors to have full access. But I later decided not to use filters, at least not until I can heat and cool the shop, which may be never. So not sure what to do with the space I planned for the filters. Don't think the air compressor set up I want will fit there. :rolleyes: Jim.

Back