Truly mobile CV1400?

gatvol

Anybody built a true mobile CV1800 that fits under a garage door. I intend to install my unit in the attic later. But for now I want to set it up purely as a mobile unit without filters. I will roll it into the driveway to use it.

Last edited:
gatvol,

While my CV1800 is built within a free standing frame on castors, it is fixed in place. It can be moved out from the corner for maintenance or repair after disconnecting the unit from the central piping. Therefore, I would say mine is not “truly mobile”.

Looking at the assembly instructions found on Clear Vue’s website, I calculate the height of the unit (motor +impeller housing + cyclone body) to be 67.5” tall. The height would increase to 69.5” with 2” castors. My standard overhead garage door opening height (floor to lower edge of the opened garage door) is 81”. Thus in my situation a mobile CV1800 on 2” castors would leave an absolute maximum 11.5” in height for the dust bin. A further reduction in the height of the dust bin would be required in order to transition from the cyclone body to the dust bin. Therefore, in my situation, there would be insufficient dust bin capacity to make rolling the CV1800 onto the driveway worthwhile.

If the challenge of lifting the CV1800 so that a larger dust bin can fit underneath is overcome and 6” flex hose is used to connect to the machines, placing the CV1800 in a tower made from construction lumber on castors would work. The CV1800 is top heavy and of such weight that some form of mechanical assistance would be required to lift the unit.

I am unsure how the CV1800 would work with no dust bin. I suppose it would pull debris from the machines but would leave a real mess of the driveway and surrounding area. In the typical installation, the CV1800/dust bin connection must be air tight.

You are correct. The garage door opening is 81" high. My current prototype has the top of the duct from the cyclone to the motor at 82". The bottom of the cyclone is 21" From the floor. I plan to lower the mounting of the cyclone about three inches and that will place the ducting at 79" and the bottom of the cyclone 18" from the floor. Still enough space to slip a chip container under. I have the blower mounted "upside down" low on the mobile base and join it with cyclone with 9" ducting. This is at best a temporary set up until I can get my stuff into the attic. But allows me to move the vacuum into the driveway and not need a filter.

If you lean the cyclone over at a 45 degree angle you will reduce the height by a couple feet. That high school A squared + B squared = C squared stuff you never thought you'd use again. ;)

An alternative would be to get 4 trailer jacks and lift the cyclone up to move. When it is outside lower it down onto the barrel. The jacks start at about $25 each from Harbor Freight and the like.

Back