Urgent - Having problems with electrical hookup

bohaiboy

I have everything wired up. A 30 amp breaker. Relay working propery with on/off 110, but when I switch it on, it trips the breaker. Any ideas as to what is happening? Motor never moves, just auto trip of circuit.

Problems with electrical ...

Make sure you have the 240 VAC hooked up correctly on the relay. Both wires on the input side should be on one side of the relay and both wires on the motor side should be on the other side of the relay. Check the pictures on this site to make sure you don't have them crossed.
bababrown

Could you send a brief description of your hook-up? It sounds like you are connecting to an outlet. Is it 3 or 4 prong? Which ones are you using, etc? Also, what are the connections at the motor?
bababrown

picture.php
[/IMG]

Here are pics of the electrical connections. Relay connections next.

Attachments

• IMG_2348.jpg
    IMG_2348.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
L1 is the red and connected to the P1 on the motor
Black is L2 and connected to the T4 and T8 Wires on motor

The other wires are nutted together/

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
Motor Elec HookUp

Attachments

• IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
Motor Electrical ...

Motor Electrical ...

I don't see any misconnections in the pictures. Is the ground wire connected to ground (green screw) in the motor box and is the white wire capped off? Do you have a voltmeter? If so measure the voltages at the wall connector. You should see about 120 volts from the ground socket (the odd shaped one or the one that accepts the long prong on the plug) to either of the other pins. Both should read just about the same. Then you should measure about 240 volts between the two non-grounded sockets. If you don't have a voltmeter then take the cover off the outlet and check the wiring to the socket.
bababrown

I don't have a voltmeter. Maybe just get an electrician out. Would it matter if I have the wiring incorrect in the wall box. Obviously ground is ground, but would it make a differnce if the two live wires were reversed (I don't think so but not an electrician)

Electrical ...

Electrical ...

Reversing the two hot wires should not be a problem. But reversing one with the ground is. If you feel uncomfortable with it call in an electrician but don't feel uncomfortable asking questions here. We're glad to help.
bababrown

Electrical ...

Electrical ...

You might try disconnecting the red and black wires right at the motor, cap them off, and try it. That should isolate the problem to the motor or before. I'm assuming there is a short. Does the breaker appear to open instantly?
bababrown

Shorts qickly Fan turns maybe an inch. Had elecrician by ($200) and everything is wired correctly. Had to tske everything down and send motor to Leeson local reapir shop. Awaiting verdict. Bumme because I too k vacation to get thi instslled. At least can get duct work installed while waiting.

Back